Forums

Help › Forums

Re: End - The 9th at St. Andrews

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 6 2014 9:04 AM (27 replies)
  • BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 6:30 AM

To be honest, I sometimes feel guilty about playing this course from the white tees. Even before you get to the 9th tee, nearly every hole on the Front 9 is Driver - Wedge, or Driver - 9i in the case of a stiff head wind. And then there is the 5th hole, easily reachable in two unless you have a very unfavorable wind. But then I think back and remember all the 4,5, and 6 footers that I've missed - particularly on holes 2, 11, 13, and 17 - and that feeling goes away real quick. But back several hundred years ago when this silly little game was invented, I really don't think this is what the Scots had in mind:

No doubt that shot was 99.99% luck and only 0.01% skill, but sometimes its better to be lucky than good, particularly here on WGT. All hail Taylor Made - between the baby R1 at 48 and my current SLDR, that company has single handedly earned me the Platinum Boom Boom award LoL.

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 6:46 AM

just wait till the next level , it will change ... trust me ...

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 7:30 AM
    2 tiers before he reaches the back tees.
  • ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 8:22 AM

filmslayer:
    just wait till the next level
    courteneyfish:
    the back tees
    or the next hole ;-)

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=74a35aae-4143-4f58-abcf-a2ea003f926d

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 9:33 AM

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 9:57 AM

Back when I was a TM I got my first double eagle on this hole. Now from the tips it can't even be reached on the drive unless you have a huge tail wind. 

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Fri, Jul 25 2014 1:08 PM

filmslayer:

just wait till the next level , it will change ... trust me ...

Oh, I know that the game will become 10x harder if I ever make Legend. Truth is though, I still have a LONG ways to go before I need to worry about that.  This past week has been one of the greatest weeks ever for me, score wise.  A 64 at St Andrews on the 21st and 22nd. A 30 on the back 9 at Merion on the 23rd. A 60 at Royal St George on the 24th, and I followed that up with a 31 on the back 9 at Bethpage. But all those scores lowered my average only from a 64.4 to a 64.00!!!!!!  I still need to lower the average by a full stroke just to hit Tour Master, and then I still need a minimum of 50 rounds of 61 just to hit legend. I have exactly 1x 61 and 1x 60 since I've been on Tour, which is over a year. Unless I finally figure out putting, getting to Legend just doesn't seem very likely right now.

TopShelf2010:
    Once on the big boy tees, things will change. Pinehurst #4 comes to mind... where with any kind of headwind and Driver then 3W does not even make the Par 4 green.

Oh, I know all about the 4th at Pinehurst, trust me.  When the course opened for qualifying all I ever wanted was to be able to shoot a bogey free round. I can't even tell you how many times I had to rage quit and start over because of a stupid bogey on number 4. There was even a few times where I made Bird at 1 and 3, got up and down for par on 2, only to miss the 6 - 8 footer for par on 4. And during those very rare occasions when I actually did make par, I'd still find a way to %^&* everything up somewhere else. I did manage a bogey free 66 once it open up for stroke play from the Master tees, but it just isn't the same.   

• mukbrain
    225 Posts
    Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:28 PM

One time I even dinked the flagstick on this hole (used L91 MAX Mater), though with a good tailwind (16-18mph)for Master tees, I only need the BB 3W (lol)

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 2:35 PM

Yeah I seriously hate front 9 Andrews.

I used to play Master and up, now I play TM and up.  And between Front 9 Andrews, Back 9 Kiawah, and all of Merion (most especially Front) I'm tempted to stick to L+.  Those 3 groupings are practically gifts to masters who play legends.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 2:54 PM

BigInigoMontoya:
    To be honest, I sometimes feel guilty about playing this course from the white tees. Even before you get to the 9th tee, nearly every hole on the Front 9 is Driver - Wedge, or Driver - 9i

Nice shot on #9, even from the forward tees but,  I must ask....

You were even up to the 9th hole, wassup with that???  ;-)

RSS