8,946 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2015 2:44 AM

This is Fantastic Scott :)

-Roger

• ScottHope
    9,981 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2015 2:52 AM

Chrome sluggish?

Not sure if this'll be of any use to anyone, but I'll post it anyway.

I've been having minor issues with Chrome for a few months now, generally just being rather sluggish and causing problems with my Photobucket images. I thought it was the browser just filling up with the usual crap, but clearing out caches, history etc, didn't seem to make any difference. So I just put up with it and carried on.

I had noticed that if I created a new profile in Chrome, things went much faster, but I didn't want to delete my old profile as it means losing all bookmarks, history, extensions and such like, and having done that in the past it can be a bit tedious configuring everything to get it back the way it was, there must be another way.

Today (08/06/2016), by accident, I found that other way. I was looking through my Chrome profile folders in windows explorer and for some reason, I decided to delete everything in the cache folder. I didn't expect it to make any difference because this folder should be cleared out when you clear out your cache via the browser, but to my great surprise, when I fired up Chrome, browsing was now quicker, and when I went to look at my pictures in Photobucket, everything was back to normal and I could see my images at their full size again, whereas previously everything had been reduced to a maximum size of 1024 pixels and my links to the full sized pics weren't working.

I can only assume that for some reason when I was clearing my cache via the browser, it wasn't deleting everything (or anything) in the cache folder. I have checked it since, and it is clearing it now, so perhaps something got corrupted somewhere, I don't know.

But if anyone is having a problem like I was with Chrome, it might be worth going into your profile cache folder and manually deleting everything in it.

Here's how to find the folder in windows explorer...

C:\Users\*Your username*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

If you can't see the AppData folder, you will need to switch on the show hidden files and folders option. To do that go to Control Panel >> Appearance and Personalization >> Folder Options, in the Folder Options dialogue box, click on the View tab and in the scroll window, click on the Show hidden files, folders and drives radio button to switch it to on, then click OK. The AppData folder should now show in windows explorer.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 12:57 PM

COMPETITORS SCORES TOTALS
    TEAM PLAYERS ROUND 1 ROUND 2 ROUND 3 ROUND 4 SUB FINAL
    1 Paulton 64

Scott Hope 57

Sorry, I had to look, that's excellent Scott!!

• ScottHope
    9,981 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:05 PM

Thanks, is the text still left aligned for you though?

I think you've got those scores reversed Paul, lol.  : )

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:25 PM

ScottHope:

Thanks, is the text still left aligned for you though?

^^^^ Seems so.

• ScottHope
    9,981 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:29 PM

Get a link to a Post

If you want to get a link to a particular post instead of a thread, click the 'Send to Friend' link on that post...

...then copy the link in the 'Start a Conversation' pop-up and use that link in your message.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:32 PM

• ScottHope
    9,981 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:35 PM

Private Messages Page Links

Just a minor bugbear of mine is the fact that there are no paging links at the top of our private messages pages, like there are at the top of the forum pages...

...while this may not be a huge thing, little touches like this make web pages easier to use.

All it takes to get page links at the top is an extension, Tampermonkey, and my Script.

Install Tampermonkey first, then click my Script link. Tampermonkey will then open and give you an install or cancel option. You can view the code below the install/cancel buttons in the source code window.

Like most browser extensions, Tampermonkey gives you a toolbar button, from where you can switch on/off your installed scripts.

Thank you.  ; )

N.B. These top page links will only appear in a conversation, not on the messages front page.

• ScottHope
    9,981 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2015 6:42 AM
    Use Bulletin Board Code To Enhance Your Posts
    (does not work in private messaging or blog posts)

I don’t know why I haven’t thought about showing you how to use BB code (Bulletin Board) to modify your posts before now, as I have used it on other forums, guess I just forgot when I was trying to get a grip on HTML.

Anyway, with BB code there is no need to delve into the HTML editor, it can all be implemented from within the message editor.

To colour a bit of text you just have to do this...

[‍color=red] I want this text red [/color]                 

I want this text red

...the brackets for the code have to be the square ones by the way.

To change the size of your text is equally simple...

[‍size=20px] This text is large [/size]

This text is large

The size unit, px in the above example, can be either px (pixel) % (percent) pt (point) mm (millimetres) or em.

Changing the font is again, very similar...

[‍font=embassy bt] This is a different font [/font]

This is a different font

To make a horizontal line across your post

[‍hr]

Text & picture alignment, again, very easy...

[‍right] This text is right aligned [/right]

This text is right aligned

[‍center] ScottHope [/center]

ScottHope

...with alignment you have the three basic options, left, right and center.

If you want to make an email address clickable, all you need to do is surround it with the email tag...

[‍email] members@worldgolftour.com [/email]

members@worldgolftour.com

You can also make a web address into a clickable link by adding the url tag, but the web address has to be complete, from the protocol ‘http’ to the domain ‘.com’. For example...

[‍url] www.wgt.com [/url]

www.wgt.com

...does not work, but...

[‍url] http://www.wgt.com [/url]

http://www.wgt.com

...will.

Have fun.  : )

RSS