Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Driver Comparison

Thu, Sep 30 2010 1:29 PM (3 replies)
  • Simmo7484
    69 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:20 AM

Just been looking in the club shop and was stumped as to why anybody would buy the Ping i15 8 degree driver over the Ping G10 8 degree driver.

The both have the same trajectory and have all the same stats with the exception of a 2 yard increase in distance for the i15, but for that 2 yard increase you have to pay an additional 370 credits.

Can anybody enlighten me as to why people buy the i15 over the g10?

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 1:22 PM

Similar for the R9 and Supertri.  Sometimes that extra 2 to 3yds, makes a difference.  It means extra carry of 2-3 yards as well and sometimes that makes a huge difference.  I find my Supertri performs better in cross winds, and slightly cross/behind winds.  You can cut the occasional corner that much more, or clear that bunker.  Sometimes that is the difference between disaster and birdie. 

example?  Kiawah #2, with my R9 I found I needed a very favorable wind to cut the corner leaving 235 or less on the approach.  Supertri, I can do it most normal winds.  That lets me take a shot at the green.

example?  Kiawah #7, with R9 I had to be left of the bunkers to be really safe, and no matter what wind I couldn't carry the corner where the bunker ends.  Supertri, full back spin I can take it right to the edge of the bunker and be safe, and a nice downwind I can carry the bunker all together. 

example?  BPB #1, much easier to cut the corner with Supertri in my opinion.  I have been 97 yards out from all tees with that club.  R9?  Well I can cut the corner but sometimes a little miss late and it gets hung in the 20-25% rough or worse, where the Supertri will carry those few extra yards.

Those examples from regular master tees, legend tees, well thats a different story.  Plus the meter is a hair faster on the longer Ping and TM.

• Simmo7484
    69 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 1:29 PM

neildiamond11790:
    example?  BPB #1, much easier to cut the corner with Supertri in my opinion.  I have been 97 yards out from all tees with that club.  R9?  Well I can cut the corner but sometimes a little miss late and it gets hung in the 20-25% rough or worse, where the Supertri will carry those few extra yards.

Wow i have never even considered cutting the corner at #1 Bethpage, might have to have a look at this, and cheers for the explanation.

• ryan4spurs
    828 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 2:12 PM

It could also be the fact that the i15 series of clubs are newer than the g10 series of clubs, just like the R9 Super Tri is a newer version of the original R9.

RSS