Help › Forums

Re: Using a wedge on the green

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:43 PM (7 replies)
  • sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 7:33 AM

Hi everyone

I just played a game with two other Legends at St Andrews, front 9.

It was a nice game although the winds were MAD and they were both VERY good! One of them was from South Carolina, near to Kiawah (and he's VISITED Kiawah!), and the other one was from a place near Toronto in Canada which apparently has lots of lakes and sounds very nice.

Anyway, the Canadian person saw that on the one green my ball went rolling past the pin and ended up, still on the green, about 27 yards from the pin.

What IS it with St Andrews greens?

Anyway, he told me to use a wedge, full shot and multiply the distance by two. After making sure the greens keeper was nowhere around I did and I ended up about 1 foot away from the hole!

So my question is, is it actually ok to use a wedge on the green??? If I had to try that here at Milnerton Golf Club, I would get into huge amounts of trouble.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 7:35 AM

sweetmiffy:
    So my question is, is it actually ok to use a wedge on the green???

Answer: YES:)

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 7:36 AM

sweetmiffy:
    is it actually ok to use a wedge on the green???

Yes

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 8:02 AM

Thank you James and Opy for your pithy responses.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 9:01 AM

I use it quite often Miff. Especially with uneven or ridged greens.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 9:33 AM

so if u hole a shot aka putt on the green with a wedge does it count as a longest putt or not ?

• jeepie411
    3,197 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:12 AM

• Dougie4042
    4,399 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:43 PM

Personally, I've never understood using a wedge on the green, regardless of the break and/or green speed.  I just played 18 on champ greens at Cabo and the only reason I had two bogeys was because I ended up on the wrong side of the pin a few times when hitting my approach shot (notes perhaps?).  Also, learn when to take a par and move on to the next hole.  

~Cheers~

Doug

RSS