Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Golf Balls

Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:06 PM (31 replies)
  • DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 6:04 PM

Sweetiepie I noticed you play with most of the latest expensive equipment including the level 90 Nike ball,,,that speaks volumes,,I rest my case....you will never convince anyone that superior equipment doesn't result in lower scoring no matter their tier level..

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 7:11 PM

DaveStrock:

Sweetiepie I noticed you play with most of the latest expensive equipment including the level 90 Nike ball,,,that speaks volumes,,I rest my case....you will never convince anyone that superior equipment doesn't result in lower scoring no matter their tier level..

I don't think SP is actively trying to convince anyone of anything. One thing I know is the best  stuff at any level is no guarantee of enjoying just playing a round because we feel like it.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 10:38 PM

hpurey:

Hicksy10:
    They "excuse" is that a ball losses decompression and is less effective

Never heard that one here before, nor does it make sense to me.  

+1 to the lack of sense, but some mods have used it repeatedly as a justifying analogy.

• shovlovin
    2,112 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 11:19 PM

IT`S NOT A BALL LOSES COMPRESSION, YOU MUST FINISH THE HOLE WITH SAME COMPRESSION BALL YOU TEED OFF WITH. A NIKE OR CALLY IS NOTHING LIKE STARTER BALLS. HOPE THAT HELPED CLEARING THAT UP.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 12:16 PM

Here is how a golf ball loses compression with use:

The Moment of Impact. An Inside Look at Titleist Golf Ball R&D

Golf Ball Compression

It is also how golf balls get out of round and add to hook, slice, trajectory, and putting woes.

Accu-Chek Golf Ball Tool

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 1:33 PM

It's obvious with real golf balls which get extremely compressed.

Alas, do you have such research results from Tour-SD balls or similar? ;)

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:18 PM

Great post..  Just started playing a couple days ago, now that I'm hooked and see the cost of the upgrades, I wish I hadn't started. I realize golf in RL is an expensive hobby but they do know this is only a game, right? What would you recommend as far as best bang for the buck balls and clubs for someone on a budget?

• JGrossnickle
    41 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 9:23 PM

As for balls, the L33 Callaway is the best bang for the buck

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 9:28 PM

The budget way is - not to buy anything at level 20 (where you are).

Play a lot, strokeplay included, I'd propose, play each day for the 880 XP bonus, thus advance in level and tier.

Read and search in the forum, wait with buys until you don't stand it any more.

At level 41, get two short Ping wedges. lvl38 ATV may be better but twice the price.

After that, the lvl30ish R11 clubs are worth a buy, or wait for the lvl59 G20.

Don't buy a putter below 500 crs.

Regarding balls, start with the cheapest (WGT B-ES) and look what they do for you (and what they cost on a regular basis). Work your way up if you want to spend more, revert to Starters if not. Tour-SD (65 crs), Srixon (180 crs) and lvl 33 Callaways (250 crs) are most recommended in the lower section.

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 10:03 PM

Thanks a lot.. I'm just gonna bank my credits like you said then, everything's so high I can't afford to waste money on impulse buys. I need experience more than anything, that wind is KILLING me.. haha.. I was hoping for calm winds every once in a while but.. NOPE.  :)

RSS