Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tips in these forums that set off fireworks for the game.

Thu, Apr 10 2014 3:08 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Fernidini
    32 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 3:56 PM

The most helpful tip that I got on this game was to not try to beat the player you are going against but just try to beat the course.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 7:59 PM

Take notes on EVERYTHING, but especially approach shots and putts. (That is my absolute #1, if only I'd started that on day 1 rather than a couple of months ago)

Putting distance math formula, +/- elevation; / numerical factor depending on green (0.85 - 1.45), then add 1ft for uphill or 6ins for downhill.

When aiming putts pull the aim box past the hole and use the aim line to judge offset, it's much thinner and hence more accurate.

Get rid if the hybrid and get three wedges. (The full Courteney ;) )

Use punch shots to get you out of rough, you don't need the hybrid.

Esp at first, if in fairway rough / sand go for the nearest fairway, NOT the green. 

• Heath021
    378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 7:52 AM

What I have found in my many hours of practice on the putting greens recently is this:

For putting breaks, I use a factor of 2.8. 

Distance to hole...if uphill subtract the distance in feet.  If downhill add the inches in feet.

For instance.  If it is a 5 foot put downhill 1 inch.  The total is 6.  Then divide 6 by 2.8=2.14.

That is the amount of holes to move either left or right. 

2.8=4 seconds for the dot to move across the grid. 

So, now for a 5 foot putt there should be 2 grid lines, if each dot takes 4 seconds to go half way across the grid then it would be 6/2.8=2.14 holes to the right or left. 

But, if the speed varies for both grids. lets say 4 seconds and 2 seconds which equals 6.

If they both moved at 4 seconds that would be 8. So now I divide 8 by 6 and get 1.3.

multiply 1.3 by 2.8 and you get 3.6. Now move the marker 3.6 holes left or right.

LOL. Not sure if I explained it right.

Happy Hitting.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 1:39 PM

Think I'm gonna aim, hit, n pray Heath - lol

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 2:25 PM

Great thread.

Some great tips already in this thread.

I hacked away in this game for a year using starters clubs, and finally played a multi-player game after about a year and a player said - "READ THE FORUMS FOR TIPS".

I did and was the best advice I could have got (before this I did not  realize  the forum existed).

The only other advice is, ENJOY THE GAME - as that is all it is. I am lazy, I do not take notes, do no calculations, I prefer to play by feel and if I get it wrong, I am OK with that, because it is just a game. I think some people lose sight that the main focus should be fun.

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 11:33 AM

Play GREEN  dot players ONLY.  Your games with game delays, loadings and disconnects will virtually go down to 0.

• Proruff
    94 Posts
    Mon, Apr 7 2014 6:37 PM

alanti:

I hacked away in this game for a year using starters clubs, and finally played a multi-player game after about a year and a player said - "READ THE FORUMS FOR TIPS".

I did and was the best advice I could have got (before this I did not  realize  the forum existed).

Not intended as a 'bump' for this thread, but I don't understand why people who partake in a hobby and frequent hobby sites DON'T take advantage of a forum on the sites they visit. 

Way back in the days of bulletin boards was where the whole genesis of social media started; that's where you went to find information on your particular topic of interest.  I guess nowadays younger folks have evolved it to " I want to be better at this and I know I can be, and I don't need the regular participants of my hobby to tell me how......"  ergo, disconnect and try again.......

I participate in a couple of other forums on other hobbies and always appreciate the advice and laughs.

The WGT forum is a wealth of info, and what's really appreciative is that participants are always willing to help your game.  It's not like they have found out something and keeping it a secret.

BTW I thought of another nugget:  ask questions in the chat.  A long time ago I hit a fairway bunker and had a 30-40% lie.  I just asked "NOW WHAT!" and was told to just hit it sideways onto the fairway.  I ended up with a birdie.  Now I know that you don't always need to go for the hole (I think that was mentioned before, but it's great advice.)

• GypsyGreen
    520 Posts
    Tue, Apr 8 2014 12:19 AM

Take time to learn the game through the tiers and dont rush yourself through the game,.. and above all remember this 1 thing... Its not the destination thats important rather focus on the journey... 

cheers folks!   GypsyG.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Apr 9 2014 3:14 PM

Looking back on my 3 years here, I would say my mistake early on was not getting the best clubs possible as they became available.

E.G. I held out with starters until I made master, whereas my friend got his Level48 raptures  as soon as he could. he benefited by learning those clubs inside out, and used that experience as he progressed up the tiers and levels.

He is a TL and I'm still a lousy Legend

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Apr 10 2014 3:08 AM

GypsyGreen:

Take time to learn the game through the tiers and dont rush yourself through the game,.. and above all remember this 1 thing... Its not the destination thats important rather focus on the journey... 

cheers folks!   GypsyG.

Very good Tip.

• PAGES
RSS