Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tekoma's Putting Techniques vol.1

Thu, Apr 13 2023 9:02 AM (310 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 4:24 PM

jdlaw47:

Sorry for being so dense. On the first vertex shot on the video, at 3 min, 3 sec, Takoma says the middle slope is 3.5 boxes. I have no idea from where to where the slope is measured to identify the middle of it.

Thanks

To be honest, I have only watched about 10% of Tek's videos. I was pretty close to reading breaks after a while BEFORE I used his technique, so I just figure the break using my method.....

THEN I use Tek's suggestions and extend the aim line to the edge of the grid (keeping the same angle) and line it up with the closest corner or middle (vertex?) point.

If I think the corner or middle point is seems like it's not going to work, I'll off ding VERY little to compensate, or sometimes high wind, and all times THE POWER you decide is very important to calculate and adjust for. I usually trust my instincts and also learn by experience from hitting the same putts, and check my notes for past attempt results.

This game was a headache:

I ended up playing the last 3 hole w/ the 'rock' starter ball. On 17 par 3 the meter ended up around 7.2 light years past ding w/ my long iron to reach the back pin placement. I missed a 30-40 footer by less than 4 inches. But I saved par.

The final hole was key. The power is important, and thanks to members on WGT I have the calculation. On 18 it was a 10 footer, and moving that aim to the corner of the back box w/ I thought was perfect for the break I managed to hit the ding and she dropped for a great end to my night with another birdie.

ps I really had some bad scores lately and that was a nice change. Thanks to Tek

Kia 18 starter ball 10ft Birdie

REPLAY

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=c7eac7fd-11b1-451a-8670-a3cc005c72fc

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Oct 22 2014 6:14 PM

As on both of these putts, I extended out to the mid-point on the outer grid, but I figured that would be a tad too much to the right of the hole. So, I attempted a pre-ding, and that's WITH the slope (which was R to L) so the added inertia rolls the ball, I'm guessing (because that usually is my experience) so I take off a fraction of power.

Kia 4  22 footer, slight pull w/ slope = less power needed,  tekoma's tech

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=dcca6352-d679-40eb-8453-a3cd00038ffa

Kia 14  19 footer slight pull, w/ slope = less power needed,  tekoma's tech

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=579dd1c9-f208-416f-a7b6-a3cd000bae19

Finished 12 under for the Master tier (which I was when I entered) and I spaced on the 18th and selected the wrong increment, I think, and blew the Bird, and choked the close par, and hit a Bogey to lose to the current 1st place score of 59 and I'm tied for 2nd w/ a 60. Next time I'll be more careful. Yellow Callies 37, woot HP rules!

Thanks to Tek.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:53 PM

pdb1:

While you may have only watched 10% of Tekoma's videos ( ya right ). I have watched them over and over . Still " no Tekoma " for me  The vertex method makes so much sense , but I can't even come close .  it's not the power . I can feel that . It's the aim . Whether I'm in the corner or in half the grid it's either way right or way left . Maybe it's my Versa putter . Something about that method doesn't work for me .

Yea, I have the Versa 97 but I use the Spider 92 and use the putting method about 75% of the time. The Versa seems like it holds the line and I don't have to adjust for the break as much. But if I miss the ding on the 97 I almost never drop the putt.

I watched about 8 min.s of the 1st video and then I saw the diagram but I just keep testing out different techniques, and you find what comes close.

Natch, distance and aim go together as one is dependent on the other but if you got the distance down, then that's the main thing. IMHO

These 2 are a little softer than what most hit but they just make it 

19 footer Oly 12 nice distance control (select cam 1)

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=c18fce35-e42c-4888-b7c2-a3d200516ea5

Kai 7 18 footer eagle putt good read  (cam 1)

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=25cdbe54-9cc1-4927-a30e-a3d101883cfa

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:24 AM

pdb1:

Not dense Bud . I gotta laugh because I watch those things and wonder the same thing . What are the reference points for which to start . It's like he assumes we see it too .

If you watch the video, he looks at the putt to get an idea where the aim should be...that's the starting point! If you can't see it then no system will work...you will also notice he hits into the break when the dots are faster, a ding misses...

If you use his system and go through the different options you will find one that is right on(it isn't always the vertex line)...

The rest is common sense...he made the video as a legend(tournament 11/12 greens)...slower greens break less, champ greens break more if you don't adjust the speed...it is a guide, you have to find the adjustment that works, and that adjustment is right on on 1/2 the courses, and different on the other 1/2 for me...

His method eliminates 3 putts as it is, still takes a lot of work from you to birdie, but it does work and it is faster, look at his scores! Nuff said!!

• jdlaw47
    15 Posts
    Thu, Oct 30 2014 5:40 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Putting is kicking my butt. I keep just missing.

RSS