Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Have flop shots been changed lately

Wed, May 13 2015 6:04 AM (25 replies)
  • royphillips1
    1,278 Posts
    Wed, Mar 5 2014 12:28 PM

l Would not be Floping from bunkers from 30/40 Sand l would always Pitch, and from shallow low face Bunkers the the punch is a great shot to play

Roy

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Mar 5 2014 1:09 PM

Sand is the one place I don't flop for sure.  Don't care how deep it is.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:07 PM

MichaelStroke:

Only way to get close on BPB#4 out of the trap in front. Everything else hits the down slope and runs.  :-)

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:39 PM

YankeeJim:

MichaelStroke:

Only way to get close on BPB#4 out of the trap in front. Everything else hits the down slope and runs.  :-)

Not hitting it in the first place helps.  :)

There are some places I will just go out of my way not to hit.  For instance, the rough to the right of the hole on the par 3 on Olympic (also the first hole on the BoP3).

I really don't have a list of which sand I can flop out of and which I can't, but when in doubt I take the safe approach.  I don't mind going for a 20 foot putt instead.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Mar 6 2014 2:08 AM

The only bunkers, I flop out of is on Beth.  All the other courses, using the Flop Shot in the Bunker is not good.

Flop shots are also good in 40/50 rough close to pin...   8-25 yrds,

The Flop is also good from the fringe, but has to be hit with less power than you think or you go way past the hole.

Most of my Flop Shots are with Full B/spin, except for fringe... maybe less spin (still scared of the ball going 2inches with full b/spin on fringe...lol)

Everybody is different at how they play or which types of shots they use. Also depends on what wedges you might use.  

The Flop is my Favorite and the shot I would use when close to green... within reason and I don't think it has changed or playing different.

-Roger

• ArgyleScott
    1,267 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2015 6:04 AM

BadMuzza:

... has anyone else noticed that this seems to have changed lately?

Lately, I have found the aim to be quite random. Going where it's aim can really ruin my shot.

RSS