Forums

Help › Forums

You know what happens when you "level-up" in RPGs?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 11 2010 10:21 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 1:49 PM

You get stuff.  More hitpoints, higher damage, etc.  Cool, huh?

Do you know how far the average tour player hits their driver?  I'd guess about 290 yards.

Do you know how far the average 15-handicapper hits their driver?  I'd guess about 240 yards.

Not only can tour players aim better and pick the correct distance better, but they can also hit further.

Not all tour players are the same, though.  Some can drive 350, some can only drive 280.  Some have better precision than others, etc.

I think it would be pretty cool if you got "skill points" for EACH TIER that you move up (0 for amateur, 1 for pro, 1 for master, 2 for legend), and you could put each skill point into one of the following:

• extra 3 yards on your driver and 3W; extra 2 yards on your 3H and 3 iron; extra 1 yard on 4 & 5 -irons
    • .25 spin
    • .25 precision
    • .25 forgiveness
    • .25 feel

Clubs would have to be scaled back slightly to adjust for the changes, but this wouldn't be very hard at all to accomplish (e.g. the 275-yard, 2.5 precision, 2.5 forgiveness, 1.0 spin, 5.0 meter speed R9 driver could be reduced by 3 yards and .25 precision.)

Not only is it realistic that better players have longer drives, better spin control, and more precise shots, etc. but everybody loves an MMORPG where they can customize their character a little bit, and it would allow players entering a new tier to not have their average obliterated and not be put at a massive disadvantage in RG and MPC play, which are a common complaints (e.g. "I just entered the master [or legend] tier, and my average has gone up by 5-10 points!")

On top of that, it would allow WGT to give boosts to certain tiers where needed.  Let's say next year, masters are put on the championship tees.  Well, guess what?  Make the pro -> master tier jump give 2 points, and drop the master->legend tier jump to 1 point.  Legends will remain the same, but masters would get some extra help in dealing with the new tees.

• RampantFrenzy
    106 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 1:55 PM

an rpg model is not good for Golf..

an rpg would give exp for

every stroke

pars

birds

eagles

gir

fairways

pretty much just about every category of award or trophy there is

its pretty messed up to think we get more exp for finishing a stroke play round with a bogey on every hole than if you get a bird or par every hole..

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:01 PM

RampantFrenzy:
    its pretty messed up to think we get more exp for finishing a stroke play round with a bogey on every hole than if you get a bird or par every hole..

You get tons of exp for placing well in a ready-go, so I wouldn't say that people putting in quality rounds are at a disadvantage.

It is also most time-efficient, if your goal is simply attaining levels, to take all your shots as best you can, in under 10 seconds or so.  While you might get 50 more points for a round where you intentionally shoot the maximum allowable (9-11) shots on every hole, it would take about 30-35% more time to complete a round like that.  In the time you could finish 3 maximum-shot rounds, you could finish 4 rounds of "speed golf" and net slightly more points, even if you take fewer swings... or you can play quality rounds in RG's and make probably even more.

The level system is also not really what's being discussed here, anyways.  The OP does include the word "level-up," but this is a tier-based level-up, not anything to do with the "level" system.  Perhaps it would be wise to not call it "leveling up" in order to avoid confusion, though.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:05 PM

Go and play Tiger Woods if you're so upset about this game. You have a new whinge every day couple of hours.

A model like that would be ridiculous for a golf game. What happens when you reach level 200? Hit a ball in the rough and spin it back to the green? Hit a drive 500 yards with topspin? It can't work. Even you must understand that.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:07 PM

Pangaea:
    Go and play Tiger Woods if you're so upset about this game. You have a new whinge every day couple of hours.

A model like that would be ridiculous for a golf game. What happens when you reach level 200? Hit a ball in the rough and spin it back to the green? Hit a drive 500 yards with topspin? It can't work. Even you must understand that.

This is a tier-based level up, not anything to do with the recently implemented "level" system.

Do try to read more carefully, genius.

• RampantFrenzy
    106 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:10 PM

I didnt read anything but the thread title.. fwiw..

just sayin..

still haven't and in fact do not plan to

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:17 PM

RampantFrenzy:

just sayin..

still haven't and in fact do not plan to

cool thanks awesome story brah

lots of spaces in my post

its awesome

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:23 PM

RampantFrenzy:

Didn't read much more either, so an honest mistake. Quickly glanced through the list and posted a reply. Thankfully I'm sure WGT will never implement something like this. It would be ridiculous. Clubs and balls should provide spin and distance, not whatever tier we're at.

Looking at the bigger picture and being a bit objective about it, the scores for legends are at least as good as for non-legends so it actually looks like they have hit the nail pretty well here. I checked some tournaments earlier and the top scores for legends was either on par or better than for all other tiers, and you mostly needed about the same results to get in the top 70. Which is actually pretty amazing given how many more players there are at all other levels.

They may come out with a slightly farther-hitting driver, but objectively speaking that's all they can do. Or we'll be back to low to mid 50-scores. FFS, there already are some cartoon scores for legends as it is. Probably Wonder-rounds, but it shows, IMO, that WGT has put the legend challenge at the right level.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:44 PM

Looking at the bigger picture and being a bit objective about it, you could probably beat me in 40% of RG's and MPC's even though you are not even close to being in my league, and I think that's silly.

I also think it's silly that WGT is rewarding dishonesty by making sandbagging such an overwhelmingly strong strategy, which, looking at the bigger picture and being a bit objective about it, is something that I think is even more silly.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 6:25 PM

• PAGES
RSS