Re: Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2015 8:24 PM

Happy Birthday Haz....you da bomb !

And a big ditto on

hpurey:
    Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian WGT friends!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jul 4 2015 7:39 AM

~ Happy Birthday America ! ~

Thank you Mr. Jefferson for the lovely, sacred words

~ Time to Celebrate !! ~

• garylewisgr
    415 Posts
    Sat, Jul 4 2015 1:28 PM

Ditto what you said SP,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA !!  

May your country remain strong and free forever and ever !!!!!!!!

Gary

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2015 7:59 AM

Happy birthday to the "who will have the last word thread"  

LOL

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2015 6:49 PM

Happy Birthday 2 me... My birthday wish from WGT....I would like my virtual female avatar to pop out of a cake for me & sing Happy Birthday...lol  Well someday in the Elite section it will be possible.

Oh well this will have to do....lol

• kccaekaert
    152 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2015 7:29 AM

well a very happy birthday to you. 

can someone tell me what to do about playing in the brackets , I have entered twice now and have yet to be able to play,it says I need to play but when I go to the brackets it wont let me do anything.

• ostfriedel
    2,050 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 11:31 AM

Happy 70th birthday, mr Neil Young

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2015 5:26 PM

It's my oldest sister's birthday today I phoned her yesterday and every conversation ends with " I love you "

Thanks Joananne I love You

and my great-nephewe that was born on Christmas Eve - Happy Birthday Ryan

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2016 8:12 AM

andyson:

Thank you Lily for the Thomas Jefferson piece!

Washington's life mask from The Morgan Library

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2016 8:15 AM

SweetiePie:

February 22

~ 1732 - George Washington ~

The Father of Our Country

"First in War, First in Peace, First in the Hearts of His Countrymen"

Have you ever wondered what he was really like? Of all that I have read I believe that Thomas Jefferson, in a letter written at Monticello to a Dr. Walter Jones dated January 2, 1814 gives the best accounting. He wrote...."I think I knew General Washington intimately and thoroughly; and were I called on to delineate his character, it should be in terms like these:                                                                                                                 

"His mind was great and powerful, without being of the very first order; his penetration strong, though not so acute as that of a Newton, Bacon or Locke; and as far as he saw, no judgment was ever sounder. It was slow in operation, being little aided by invention or imagination, but sure in conclusion. Hence the common remark of his officers, of the advantage he derived from councils of war, where hearing all suggestions, he selected whatever was best; and certainly no general ever planned his battles more judiciously. But if deranged during the course of the action, if any member of his plan was dislocated by sudden circumstances, he was slow in re-adjustment. The consequence was, that he often failed in the field, and rarely against an enemy in station, as at Boston and York. He was incapable of fear, meeting personal dangers with the calmest unconcern. Perhaps the strongest feature in his character was prudence, never acting until every circumstance, every consideration, was maturely weighed; refraining if he saw a doubt, but, when once decided, going through with his purpose, whatever obstacles opposed. His integrity was most pure, his justice the most inflexible I have ever known, no motives of interest or consanguinity of friendship or hatred, being able to bias his decision. He was , indeed, in every sense of the words, a wise, a good, and a great man. His temper was naturally irritable and high toned; but reflection and resolution had obtained a firm and habitual ascendency over it. If, however, it broke its bonds, he was most tremendous in his wrath. In his expenses he was honorable, but exact; liberal in contributions to whatever promised utility; but frowning and unyielding on all visionary projects, and all unworthy calls on his charity. His heart was not warm in its affections; but he exactly calculated every man's value, and gave him a solid esteem proportioned to it. His person, you know, was fine, his stature exactly what one would wish, his deportment easy, erect and noble; the best horseman of his age, and the most graceful figure that could be seen on horseback. Although in the circle of his friends, where he might be unreserved with safety, he took a free share in conversation, his colloquial talents were not above mediocrity, possessing neither copiousness of ideas, nor fluency of words. In public, when called on for a sudden opinion, he was unready, short and embarrassed. Yet he wrote readily, rather diffusely, in an easy and correct style. This he had acquired by conversation with the world, for his education was merely reading, writing and common arithmetiic, to which he added surveying at a later day. His time was employed in action chiefly, reading little, and that only in agriculture and English history. His correspondence became necessarily extensive, and, with journalizing his agricultural proceedings, occupied most of his leisure hours within doors. On the whole, his character was, in its mass, perfect, in nothing bad, in few points indifferent; and it may truly be said, that never did nature and fortune combine more perfectly to make a man great, and to place him in the same constellation with whatever worthies have merited from man an everlasting remembrance. For his was the singular destiny and merit, of leading the armies of his country successfully through an arduous war, for the establishment of its independence; of conducting its councils through the birth of a government, new in its forms and principles,until it had settled down into a quiet and orderly train; and of scrupulously obeying the laws through the whole of his career, civil and military, of which the history of the world furnishes no other example"...

If you wish to see better his looks, The Morgan Library shows in detail the face impression that Houdon took in the 1780s...go to the site...it's very cool.

...and you may view it now in the fine Andyson post below ;-}

Lily.....updated 2016 

SweetiePie:

February 22

~ 1732 - George Washington ~

The Father of Our Country

"First in War, First in Peace, First in the Hearts of His Countrymen"

Have you ever wondered what he was really like? Of all that I have read I believe that Thomas Jefferson, in a letter written at Monticello to a Dr. Walter Jones dated January 2, 1814 gives the best accounting. He wrote...."I think I knew General Washington intimately and thoroughly; and were I called on to delineate his character, it should be in terms like these:                                                                                                                 

"His mind was great and powerful, without being of the very first order; his penetration strong, though not so acute as that of a Newton, Bacon or Locke; and as far as he saw, no judgment was ever sounder. It was slow in operation, being little aided by invention or imagination, but sure in conclusion. Hence the common remark of his officers, of the advantage he derived from councils of war, where hearing all suggestions, he selected whatever was best; and certainly no general ever planned his battles more judiciously. But if deranged during the course of the action, if any member of his plan was dislocated by sudden circumstances, he was slow in re-adjustment. The consequence was, that he often failed in the field, and rarely against an enemy in station, as at Boston and York. He was incapable of fear, meeting personal dangers with the calmest unconcern. Perhaps the strongest feature in his character was prudence, never acting until every circumstance, every consideration, was maturely weighed; refraining if he saw a doubt, but, when once decided, going through with his purpose, whatever obstacles opposed. His integrity was most pure, his justice the most inflexible I have ever known, no motives of interest or consanguinity of friendship or hatred, being able to bias his decision. He was , indeed, in every sense of the words, a wise, a good, and a great man. His temper was naturally irritable and high toned; but reflection and resolution had obtained a firm and habitual ascendency over it. If, however, it broke its bonds, he was most tremendous in his wrath. In his expenses he was honorable, but exact; liberal in contributions to whatever promised utility; but frowning and unyielding on all visionary projects, and all unworthy calls on his charity. His heart was not warm in its affections; but he exactly calculated every man's value, and gave him a solid esteem proportioned to it. His person, you know, was fine, his stature exactly what one would wish, his deportment easy, erect and noble; the best horseman of his age, and the most graceful figure that could be seen on horseback. Although in the circle of his friends, where he might be unreserved with safety, he took a free share in conversation, his colloquial talents were not above mediocrity, possessing neither copiousness of ideas, nor fluency of words. In public, when called on for a sudden opinion, he was unready, short and embarrassed. Yet he wrote readily, rather diffusely, in an easy and correct style. This he had acquired by conversation with the world, for his education was merely reading, writing and common arithmetiic, to which he added surveying at a later day. His time was employed in action chiefly, reading little, and that only in agriculture and English history. His correspondence became necessarily extensive, and, with journalizing his agricultural proceedings, occupied most of his leisure hours within doors. On the whole, his character was, in its mass, perfect, in nothing bad, in few points indifferent; and it may truly be said, that never did nature and fortune combine more perfectly to make a man great, and to place him in the same constellation with whatever worthies have merited from man an everlasting remembrance. For his was the singular destiny and merit, of leading the armies of his country successfully through an arduous war, for the establishment of its independence; of conducting its councils through the birth of a government, new in its forms and principles,until it had settled down into a quiet and orderly train; and of scrupulously obeying the laws through the whole of his career, civil and military, of which the history of the world furnishes no other example"...

If you wish to see better his looks, The Morgan Library shows in detail the face impression that Houdon took in the 1780s...go to the site...it's very cool.

...and you may view it now in the fine Andyson post below ;-}

Lily.....updated 2016 

RSS