Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:24 AM

Oh Kat! Vandross is gone? I didn't know...a luminary extinguished....

April 21

1953 ~ Ed Fiori ~ PGA

1954 ~ Dale Eggeling ~ LPGA

1619 - John van Riebecck, Colonial Founder/Director of Cape Colony

1651 - Blessed Joseph Vaz, Apostle of Ceylon

1673 - Wilhelmina Amalia of Brunswick ~ Holy Roman Empire Empress

1713 - Louis Duke de Noaillas, Marshall of France

!816 ~ Charlotte Bronte ~ +1 Novelist of "Jane Eyre"...A Goddess in my eye...

1864 - Max Weber, Historian Ancient Judaism

~and~

in 1789, John Adams was sworn in as the first vice president of the United States ~ gotta love his ball-buster of a wife, Abigail ~

Monday. New games. Yahoo!

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 10:44 AM

Abigail Adams brings truth to the phrase, "behind every great man stands a great woman". I truly love reading the letters shared between John and Abigail.

21 April,

Today's Tribute:

Queen Elizabeth II is 88 today.  I honestly cannot do her justice.  Over 60 years as monarch and "Defender of the Faith".  

Notables:

• Scientist ... Scottish born and Father of the US National Parks system, John Muir (1838 - 1914).  I hope to walk the entire John Muir trail someday (not all at once, of course ... is that even possible?)
    • For our huge Yankee fan, Jim ... Coach Joe McCarthy (1887 - 1978).
    • Singer Iggy Pop is 67
    • Director Elaine May is 82
    • Author Josh Billings (1818 - 1885) ... coined the phrase "The Kicker".  During the 19th century, his popularity was only surpassed by fellow author Mark Twain.
    • The true reason the Dallas Cowboys won't win another superbowl with this QB at the helm ... Tony Romo is 34.

Actors/Actresses:

• Tony Danza is 63
    • James Mcavoy is 35
    • Andie Macdowell is 56
    • James Morrison is 60
    • Anthony Quinn (1915 - 2001)
    • Charles Grodin is 79
    • Michelle Gomez is 43

Tribute Video:

I went through several and decided on this one.  As a citizen of the US and Cherokee Nation, I can't possibly give enough tribute to this great woman.  Hopefully some others can make contributions.  Enjoy the video everyone!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 9:00 AM

Abigail....I'm looking for some letters between Mrs. Adams & Mr. Jefferson for you, dear Kat. I have them somewhere...they admired one another.

April 22

1357 - Johan I ~ King of Portugal

1451 - Isabella I of Castille ~ Queen of Spain 

1610 - Alexander VIII ~ Pope

1707 - Henry Fielding ~ English Novelist who wrote "Tom Jones"

1711 - Eleazor Wheeloch ~ Founder of Dartmouth College

1844 - Lewis Powell ~ A Booth guy that attacked Secretary Seward (sick in bed of a nasty buggy accident) with a Bowie knife. He was executed by rope around neck...falling

1870 - Vladimir Lenin ~ Bolshevik/Marxist Revolutionary and Russian Premier

1872 - Princess Margaret of Prussia ~ Queen of Finland

1884 - John van Capel ~ Who died in 1992....do the arithmatic...

1891 - Nicola Sacco ~ Anarchist

oh, and

in 1864, Congress authorized the use of the phrase "In God We Trust" on US coins

plus

in 1889, The great Oklahoma Land Rush began at noon as many thousand homesteaders staked claims on free land...free land...those who were unscrupled and ambitious, did so early and became known as "Sooners". Now we have the great Oklahoma University Sooners. Good at football...very! There is a famous photograph of the "Land Rush" I can't find.

~ it's a good day to do good ~ 

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 11:29 AM

SweetiePie:
    Abigail....I'm looking for some letters between Mrs. Adams & Mr. Jefferson for you, dear Kat. I have them somewhere...they admired one another.

There are several great books about Abigail ... but for the complete correspondence between her and Thomas Jefferson (as well as those between her and her husband and her husband and Thomas Jefferson), you should look into the book titled "The Adams-Jefferson Letters ... the complete correspondence between Thomas Jefferson, Abigail Adams and John Adams).  For what is considered "an unschooled female", Abigail can easily compete with the great minds of today!

I actually loved the fence mending between Abigail and Jefferson the best.  (1804).  

22 April ...

Today's tributes:

• Singer/Guitarist Peter Frampton is 64
    • Singer/Songwriter Glen Campbell is 78

Notables:

• Nuclear Physicist Robert Oppenheimer (1904 - 1967)
    • Jazz Bassist Charles Mingus (1922 - 1979)
    • Producer Aaron Spelling (1923 - 2006)

Actors:

• Jack Nicholson is 77 
    • Ryan Stiles is 55
    • Jeffrey Dean Morgan is 48
    • Eddie Albert (1906 - 2005)

Tributes:

First off, I'll go with this (mostly unknown to me) singer.  During his hay-day, he had his own Television Show ... Many of you will probably remember this guy ... I've actually heard this song a few times ... 

And now for one of my favorite singers that was popular during the 70's ...

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 1:01 PM

I will just add that Frampton wrote "Show Me the Way" one morning and "Baby, I Love Your Way" the same afternoon. Not a bad day.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 6:46 AM

ThreeSpot:

I will just add that Frampton wrote "Show Me the Way" one morning and "Baby, I Love Your Way" the same afternoon. Not a bad day.

That's a good one ~ TS ~ What a day indeed! To create an entire, long standing career in a single day ! LOL! Talk about 'milking the cow'....And thank you Miss Kat for the Adams - Jefferson book heads-up. I can't believe I don't have it ~ I will

April 23

Jody Mudd ~ PGA

1170 - Isabella of Hainaut ~ Queen of France

1185 - King Alonso II of Portugal

1464 - Johanna van Valois ~ Queen of France

1564 - William Shakespeare ~ Stratford upon Avon ~ Also died on this day in 1616

1621 - William Penn

1676 - King Frederick I of Sweden

1725 - Saint Gerard Majella

1791 - James Buchanan ~ 15th US President ~ Also one of the worst, like what we have now ~ Also, perhaps the only known "Miss Nancy" of Presidents.

1813 - Stephen Douglas ~ US Senator ~ "Little Giant" ~ Lincoln debates

1891 - Sergei Prokofiev ~ Ukraine Composer ~ A true favorite of mine, ahead of his time

~  oh, incidently ~

in 1014, the Battle of Clontarf took place near Dublin as forces loyal to Brian Boru, High King of the Irish, defeated an army led by the King of Leinster with heavy losses on both sides, including Brian, who was killed.

in 1789, President-elect George Washington and his wife, Martha, moved into the first executive mansion, The Franklin House, in New York.

~ Hurry! We're on the tee! ~

~ Hoping Kat can did up a Prokofiev diddy ~ 

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 8:11 AM

Sergei Prokofiev was a bit of a protege ... with the help of his mom, who wrote down the music, Sergei created his first composition, "The Indian Gallop" at the age of five.  

In 1914, Sergei competed in a "battle of the Pianos" against four other contestants for the prize of a Schreder grand piano.  He played his own concerto and won.  Here is the concerto he played:

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 8:50 AM

23 April -

Today's tribute:

Singer/Songwriter Roy Orbison (1936 - 1988)

Notables:

• Child actress Shirley Temple (1928 - 2014)
    • WWF Wrestler John Cena is 36
    • Director Michael Moore is 59
    • Inventor Granville Woods (1856 - 1910).  He was known as "The Black Edison", with 50 patents credited to his name.  Due to his race, Granville had several of his inventions stolen ... two of which Thomas Edison took credit for.
    • NBA Hall of Famer Gail Goodrich is 70

Actors/Actresses:

• George Lopez is 52
    • Valerie Bertinelli is 53
    • Lee Majors is 74
    • Dev Patel is 23
    • Joyce DeWitt is 64
    • Sandra Dee (1942 - 2005)  ... wow, and I thought that was just a "Grease" name.
    • Kal Penn is 36
    • Melina Kanakaredes is 46
    • ("the plane, boss") Herve Jean-Pierre Villechaize (1943 - 1993)
    • Janet Blair (1921 - 2007)

Today's tribute video:

It was difficult picking just one ... so I did the same line as "American Bandstand" did in 1966 ... enjoy

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:20 AM

The "Friendly Confines" of Wrigley Field is 100 yrs old today! 

Home of the Chicago Cubs Major League Baseball team, Wrigley is the 2nd oldest ballpark and is known for its ivy covered outfield walls, manual scoreboard, quaint neighborhood setting, and losing teams.

I saw many ball games there as a lad and young adult, and a couple as a really old adult. LOL

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:59 AM

andyson:
    The "Friendly Confines" of Wrigley Field is 100 yrs old today! 

That is too cool ... when Sammy played for the Cubs we went to Wrigley Field ... I was just a kid then.  My uncle is a Cubs fan.  They were playing the Dodgers.  

Bet you can't guess who I was rooting for!  lol.

Edit:  We also went to your (current) neck of the woods ... Diamondback stadium to watch the Cubs play.  All I remember was it was like 100 degrees when we left the stadium ... and that was at 10 PM at night.  BTW ... the cubs won that night.

RSS