Forums

Help › Forums

Re: taylor wedge backspin

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 5 2009 12:26 PM (23 replies)
    1,644 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 6:10 PM

Alex,

I think the conclusion I drew from my replays is that the stopping distance is practically the same from the Tour starters to the TMs, yes there is more backspin in the TMs but it seems to be offset by the fact that they are a slightly lower trajectory and 10 yards longer overall.  Net result is similar response after first bounce.  Was this the intention?  If so, I for one am mildly disappointed.

Thanks,

Lee

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 6:31 PM

Alex, none of the wedges have backspin to them after it lands on the hole. What I mean is the following:

1. wedges hit with full bs after falling roll 5 yards, 4 yards and 2, yards.. the one that rolls 2 yards is consdered to be the one with best backspin. while its true, it has backspin, it's NOT what we mean.

for example: on #13th BP hole, i want to hit pproach with full 85, carry it few yards by and haveit spin back to the hole Why? simple: left of the hole is ruff, 4 yards short of the hole is fringe, so BEST shot (the one that will be most consistent over time) is to land 3-4 yards over hole and spin it back towards the hole.

this is what we came to expect/want from 4/5 possible wedges :) . so far it hasnt delivered:(

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2009 8:55 AM

I am going to weight in here. Please forgive me because I know I do not play in the same league as Lee and Iconion but this is how I perceive it.

The advantage with the extra spin you get with the TM is what they deliver with just the normal hit. You don't need to apply backspin, infact it almost seems to ruin the shot. The beauty is in the way they stop with just a normal swing. I find almost on a dime (oaky a large bucket lol). I also find the added spin makes the chips much more accurate and have never holed more chip ins (Especailly out of the rough and sand). Right now I see us using a "one" piece ball and don't see the club backspin adding to much more. I have a feeling as WGT starts releasing professional simulated 2 piece balls that combined with the highback spin clubs we will finally then see the ball hit and actually spin backwards. Now this is only my educated guess, sort of how I would approach it if I was marketing this game. The problem is poor Alex is just to busy to provide this sort of information ahead of time and set customer expectations. Since I am on a roll, I still believe the added swing rate and the lost of forgiveness on the new clubs makes them very hard for the normal guy to use. Sadly I have both the pings and TM irons and wedged sitting in my bag unused. Please consider adding one more bubble of forgiveness. Maybe the next set of clubs can be less forgiving but this is one heck of a upgrade.

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2009 12:26 PM

I agree with you here, to a point.  Yes we are using a generic WGT ball, but that is all we have been using to this point.  The stats for the clubs should rate the spin in reference to the same type of ball.  And it says there is a difference, so there should be a difference! Yes I do believe that it is in their plans to introduce distance balls and high spin balls in the future, but that should not really have any bearing on the spin rate comparison from one club to another.

Lee

RSS