Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Redwood Putter Review (Master)

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 23 2010 6:27 AM (8 replies)
  • rehill
    431 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 4:38 PM

I bought the new Redwood putter (the first master putter), in hopes of making more putts. I immediately noticed the precision of the putter, with the drawback of an increased meter speed. I weighed all in, including the price tag (SALE PRICE: $10.38) and came up with this conclusion:

With my technique, I personally prefer the Daytona. I line up putts and mishit them against the break. With the Redwood I constantly found myself clicking inconsistently and ultimately missing putts.

The thing about putting is there is very little room for error. IMO, the slower meter of the Daytona makes it the better putter of the two.

If you can afford the $10.38 and think you can click the meter consistently, there is no doubt the precision is the best in the game... other wise the Daytona is the best bet!

...just trying to help someone trying to decide what putter to get =)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 5:14 PM

I'm on the other side of the fence, rehill. I've had it since it came out and  am finally getting the difference. With the avatar move method I find dinging it to be very easy and the reward is the ball goes where you putt it. On occasion I will revert to the miss method and I find you need to actually miss more than with the other Redwood. This translates to partial aims with normal misses sinking a lot more putts.

I wouldn't recommend screwing around with putting this way but it works for me.  :-)

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 5:28 PM

Ya YJ, I hear ya. I've also had it since the release... but my problem is I just couldn't stop the meter where I wanted to (heck I have that problem with all my clubs). I just find putting easier with the Daytona. 

I don't think it matters how long I spent practicing, I wasn't going to be able to handle the speed of the master redwood.

What I'm saying to potential buyers is this: the putter is worth the money, if you can handle the meter speed.

• bpierce749
    116 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 6:23 PM

i got a pro redwood putter and i used to misshit purposely but i sucked with the redwood. then halfway through an 18 hole round at kiawah i started to try to ding it and ended up 4 under. might not sound like much but it was awesome for me

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 8:14 PM

bpierce749:
    i got a pro redwood putter

Not sure ( being a smart azz )  but I think the OP was about the master redwood.   I have yet to try it,  the price  for a putter  is just a little too much,  like 5$ too much.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Aug 21 2010 11:03 PM

wizbang360:

I have yet to try it,  the price  for a putter  is just a little too much,  like 5$ too much.

Aww don't be a cheapskate... that 5 dollars would be well spent on a club you will use 3 times per hole!

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sun, Aug 22 2010 6:14 AM

I tried it for 2 weeks and if I could have commanded by avatar to throw it in water I would have. Maybe I am just so used to the Daytona putter......I don't know but I hated the thing!

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Sun, Aug 22 2010 2:37 PM

I have been using the new master Redwood for 4 or 5 days and I am doing o.k. with it but just o.k. so far. My distance control is pretty much spot on. My big problem as it is with all the putters is being able to consistently read the break right. But I'm sure with time that will come. 

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Mon, Aug 23 2010 6:27 AM

I have been using the new Master Redwood putter now for 2 weeks.  At first I had found the meter speed to be difficult.  I changed balls to the GS-13S.  That slowed the meter to the point where I can deal with it and am finding that I really like the 15'  distance meter that I get with this putter. As for trying to read the left to right or right to left breakers,  I found that I am usually not reading enough break in the putts. Especially the long ones so I am trying to give myself some more break rather than less.  On the short putts, 3' or less, I am hitting the ball harder and that has cut down the break to almost a straight putt.  The only drawback is if I miss, I usually have a 5-7 footer coming back. Hope this helps.

Keep it in the short grass

The Flash 

RSS