Forums

Help › Forums

Re: In defence of meter speed 5 clubs...

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 28 2010 5:23 AM (6 replies)
  • overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2010 12:43 AM

I bought a 64 degree wedge with a meter speed of 5 today. I had heard a lot of things about these clubs being lighting fast and impossible to ding properly. So when i pulled it out of the bag for a test run, i was expecting something fast...

I was in for a shock. The good kind.

I don't know why, but the times i swung the club... i just wasn't seeing how people could complain about the speed. It was indeed quite a bit faster, but nowhere near the level that other people had complained about. I'd encourage players who have been put off by these statements of speed to try the club for themselves and see what's really going on...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2010 12:12 PM

Congrats on buying the best club you'll ever have. Quite often it becomes easier to swing with a faster meter, after a short while. Mixing them up may cause some grief but if you have all your speeds that fast you'll actually get used to it really fast. Set all your wedges up the same as that and you'll be happy. GL

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2010 1:09 PM

YankeeJim:
    Mixing them up may cause some grief but if you have all your speeds that fast you'll actually get used to it really fast. Set all your wedges up the same as that and you'll be happy. GL

You got that right YJ.  I still can't figure out why WGT hasn't released a wedge set to match up with the $37 Ping i15s.  Seems like it would be another source of revenue which you'd think they'd be all over.  

When meter acts right I can ding the i15 or TM SuperTri with great frequency......then I get to my wedges which I can't stop pulling for the life of me.   Swing tempo is EVERYTHING in this game and having a mixed bag costs me a couple shots a round.  Been playing the i15s for a couple months and still can't adjust to the slower meter of the regular master wedges.  

Having all clubs except putter with same meter speed is just a bit more relevant to me than a new avatar with ugly pants!!!......although I did buy some of those ugly pants one night when I was a bit too deep in the vodka.  :)

• pauls
    1,146 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2010 3:02 PM

i agree jake, new wedges would be fantastic, hopefully when they bring out the new clubs at the end of the month we will get some faster wedges,  

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Sat, Aug 21 2010 1:43 AM

jakestanfill7:

You got that right YJ.  I still can't figure out why WGT hasn't released a wedge set to match up with the $37 Ping i15s.  Seems like it would be another source of revenue which you'd think they'd be all over.  

When meter acts right I can ding the i15 or TM SuperTri with great frequency......then I get to my wedges which I can't stop pulling for the life of me.   Swing tempo is EVERYTHING in this game and having a mixed bag costs me a couple shots a round.  Been playing the i15s for a couple months and still can't adjust to the slower meter of the regular master wedges.  

Having all clubs except putter with same meter speed is just a bit more relevant to me than a new avatar with ugly pants!!!......although I did buy some of those ugly pants one night when I was a bit too deep in the vodka.  :)

I'll answer each part respectively.

Some wedges to line up with the i15's might be a decent move by wgt, but the more lucrative move would be adding a rapture (or equivalent) line of wedges.  Quite a few pros play raptures at pro so they'd probably buy the rapture wedges very quickly.

I agree with varying meter speeds making you pull the slower clubs.  I have a tour pro 9.5D and 3W and it sometimes makes me pull the starter irons a bit.  But i'm getting better at that.

I think the loudmouth avatars are aimed more at females than males.  My reasoning is that quite a few gals complained about the lack of avatars that wear skirts, and hey presto!  Loudmouth line gives them 3 options that don't have you wearing a flag around your waist, and all of them have colours and/or patterns you'd more likely see a female wearing than a male :P.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sat, Aug 21 2010 2:53 PM

overthetop2:
    Some wedges to line up with the i15's might be a decent move by wgt, but the more lucrative move would be adding a rapture (or equivalent) line of wedges.  Quite a few pros play raptures at pro so they'd probably buy the rapture wedges very quickly.

Understood.  I made the same suggestion after buying the Pro Raptures a while back but this just doesn't seem to be a priority for WGT.  Sure seems like they would have wedges to line up with ALL the premium (most expensive) club sets they sell.  Spend $35+ on a premium set of woods and irons but have to sacrifice wedge play because you can't get any with same characteristics as the rest of your set.

I would still be playing the Master G10s if the 7 8 9 irons didn't deviate wildly so regularly.  The set was great having 13 clubs that all performed the same way but the inconsistency of those 3 clubs steered be to the i15s.  Now I sacrifice accurate wedge play.  Not really sure which is the lesser of 2 evils yet.

• Seekerb
    651 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 5:23 AM

jakestanfill7:

overthetop2:

Understood.  I made the same suggestion after buying the Pro Raptures a while back but this just doesn't seem to be a priority for WGT.  Sure seems like they would have wedges to line up with ALL the premium (most expensive) club sets they sell.  Spend $35+ on a premium set of woods and irons but have to sacrifice wedge play because you can't get any with same characteristics as the rest of your set.

I would still be playing the Master G10s if the 7 8 9 irons didn't deviate wildly so regularly.  The set was great having 13 clubs that all performed the same way but the inconsistency of those 3 clubs steered be to the i15s.  Now I sacrifice accurate wedge play.  Not really sure which is the lesser of 2 evils yet.

Interested in your remark about 7 8 9 in the G 10's can you amplify a bit more I thought it was my shot making or the wind which I have not quite worked out  They  seem to go all over the place with the wind e.g if you mishit a fraction right with strong wind left to right they seem to often go miles out to the right

RSS