Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Improving this game's putting

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 18 2009 5:17 PM (4 replies)
  • SnoopDarr
    3 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2009 8:32 AM

I've played golf games as far back as bandai challenge pebble beach on the NES, and this game's putting is one of the worst implemented i've seen.  2 quick things would fix it:

1) Tap-ins.  The display, golfer, grid, power meter, all aren't designed for putts under 2 feet.  It's a jumbled mess.  If you get within 24 inches, make the game give you the put.

2) Swing meter enhancment - In every good golf game i've ever played, you don't have to measure a backswing on putting.  Reading the break, power, line are enough.  On putting, the game should let you set the power, then just let it go and shoot, assuming that you hit the ball 'true'. 

4-putting because you can't even see the hole through all the clutter on the screen, or because you read the line perfectly but clicked the mouse too late, are extremely frustrating, and not marks of a 'fun' game.

• bstrippy
    39 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2009 12:03 PM

And point #3 is???.........

Lol....

I dont agree with you exept maybe having tap ins under 2ft cos they are easy enough and would save time too...

did you have a 3rd point?

• cccuta5
    4 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2009 5:23 PM

My problem with the putting is twofold:

1. If it reads "RED" down 3 inches 27 feet to the hole.  You hit the putt "true" while playing an approriate amount of break and accounting for the down hill, and it stops 5' short.  Next hole same situation, adjust for the "shortage" hit a truce putt, and it goes by 5'.  The inconsistancy on the greens is at best, frustrating
    2. Less than 5' should have a 5' (or a 10') meter.  Have you played any of the EA or Accolade golf games?

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2009 4:18 PM

My problem with putting isn't necessarily the fluctuating distance reads, because if there were no wind, they would probably be pretty consistent. HOWEVER, add a little 5mph breeze coming straight at your putt, and suddenly that 15 footer downhill needs 16 feet worth of power to fight the wind (slight exaggeration, but not much in my experience).

I think the wind on the green philosphy needs to be adjusted a little bit. It's great that we have these stronger winds to make our rounds more challenging, but when I have a "slight" break left to right on the green (and I mean slight.....would sink the putt with no wind by aiming inside the left part of the cup), and a left to right wind of 7mph and suddenly my putt breaks by over a foot, that's a little too much "help" by the wind. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2009 5:17 PM

Yes the wind on the greens is a little crazy and needs to be removed entirely.

Loose paper doesn't even move until the wind is at least 13-18mph and paper certainly weighs a lot less than a golf ball.

I'm thinking it would take winds of 35-40mph before you would start to actually notice it affecting putts on a real course.

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/marine/wind.shtml

RSS