Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Need a theme-British Open?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:06 AM (8 replies)
  • EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2009 8:11 AM

I'm thinking about running a community run tourney on here, but I have no idea how I should do it and what the 'theme' should be.

Any ideas?

All will be welcomed.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2009 9:34 AM

My best advice for running tournaments is just to pick what you think will be the most fun for the most people.  It doesn't have to have a theme if you don't want and it doesn't need to be straight up golf either.  Your contest could have a 'hook'  such as 3 holes all played with the 7-iron, or something like that.  Start off with something small, so you can learn the ropes too.  As an organizer, you will run into unexpected situations more frequently then you anticipate.

The best thing you can do as a tournament organizer is be prepared.  Planning and staging should be your top concern.  I've got a tournament that's about ready to be announced that I've been planning way back since March.  I'm just now finalizing the last bit of details and gathering up the graphics and such.  When people see you are well organized and executing tourneys from start to finish with as few "hey what do we do now" moments as possible, then you'll have folks busting down your door to play in no time.

Good Luck! :)

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2009 4:14 PM

Hi Nivlac

Thats all very well, but just where do you start? For instance -  how and where do you get those links for the sign ups and posting of your scores etc etc

There seems to be a fair bit to it?

cheers Doug

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2009 4:19 PM

The forms and spreadsheets are actually quite easy.  You just need an account with Google Docs and you can create the sign up and score tracking sheets in just a minute or two once you get the hang of it.

You don't have to go completely overboard like I do with the graphics and such, because those tend to be the most time consuming parts and ultimately aren't really necessary.  Thankfully, I have an art department (Jarid),  but a simple spreadsheet and forum thread can be just as successful as all the hooplah we put on.  KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) is the best way to go :D

It can be a decent amount of work depending on how big of a show you want to put on, but you learn to how to work more efficiently as you progress.   That's why I recommend starting small.  You can sort of gauge your own interest that way.  You may find out that you like participating in events a lot more than running them yourself.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2009 9:51 AM

The theme has been chosen.

It is 'The WGT Champions League', where players will chose a football and play in a champions league-like format.

If you like the idea, please join!

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2009 9:56 AM

Good luck with the tourney! I reccomend you to change the title of this thread to something like "WGT Champions League" or otherwise you might not get too many people looking at this thread.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2009 9:57 AM

Nah, I'm starting a whole new thread for it!

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2009 10:15 AM

Need help ASAP. On Google docs, how do you stop people from editing it? Need full details.

Thanks!

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:06 AM

Well, my first idea seemed to have failed quite badly. Only 11 people entered it, and that is nowhere near enough! But lucky, I have a plan B.

How about a British open? Like a Home Countries tourney or maybe just a big tourney with just Brits allowed?

Feedback will be welcomed.

Thanks

RSS