Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PGA Tour looking for your vote...

Mon, Jul 29 2013 11:59 PM (4 replies)
  • sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Tue, Jul 23 2013 2:58 PM

Just seen this on ESPN today.

For the first time in the 95-year history of the PGA Championship, fans will play a role in the course setup for the tournament, which starts Aug. 8 at Oak Hill Country Club in Rochester, N.Y.

In the "Pick the Hole Challenge" sponsored by the PGA of America, fans may vote on one of four pin positions for the final round for the par-3, 181-yard 15th hole, the last par-3 on the 7,145-yard par-71 Donald Ross course.

Voting began Tuesday at PGA.com.

[+] EnlargeOak Hill
    Scott Halleran/Getty ImagesIn the "Pick the Hole Challenge," fans may vote on one of four pin positions on the par-3, 181-yard 15th hole for the final round.

The 15th is a downhill setup with two bunkers on the left side and water on the right of a narrow green. This hole was chosen because of its importance as a closing hole in the tournament and the plethora of challenging pin locations.

According to Kerry Haigh, the chief championships officer for the PGA of America, there isn't an easy pin position on the hole.

Jack Nicklaus, who won the last of his five PGA Championships in 1980 at Oak Hill, conceived the idea to involve fans in the pin-placement process.

"The chance for golf fans to interact with the PGA Championship and play a role in shaping the outcome of the final round fascinates me," Nicklaus said in a statement. "It's like being able to call the shots during the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl."

Course setup is generally the sole domain of the competition or championship committee at all professional golf tournaments.

At the PGA of America, Haigh oversees course setup for the PGA, the Ryder Cup, the Senior PGA and the PGA Grand Slam of Golf.

"A big part of this is not only to enhance participation and interests among golf fans worldwide," Haigh said, "but also to educate fans, spectators and non-golfers of the information that the best players in the world have when they stand on the tee with their hole sheet and yardage book and all the factors that they are considering for the shot."

Haigh hopes the contest gives fans valuable insight into the challenges of course setup in major championship golf.

"Our aim is to challenge the players and to make them think, but also make sure that it's fair and good shots are rewarded," he said. "It's a delicate balance. In setting those hole locations, you want to give a variety of front, back, left and right so that players have to think their way around the course and not be able to just stand up and hit it. Creating that fair and challenging test creates excitement."

Voting ends at the close of the third round of the season's final major on Aug 10.

BTW i voted for C 

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Tue, Jul 23 2013 8:53 PM

A very cool idea indeed - I voted C too (lied that I was in the US LOL), gotta bring the hazard intoplay lol - I wonder how many Nikes will go in there especially when the PGA organize a left to right wind!

Sadly we do not have enough hole options on WGT.

• Poowanai275
    139 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2013 7:07 AM

I...chose 1 but 3 is more and more than others....

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jul 29 2013 5:25 AM

My vote was D ... the longest hole location but one they could go for with the least trouble.

I love seeing great play on a par 3 on the closing day close to the end of a round, like often happens on #16 at Augusta. It can be the difference between winning and losing, or getting into a tie-breaker.

• JayO92
    172 Posts
    Mon, Jul 29 2013 11:59 PM

Since when do Sunday pin placements necessarily have to be the toughest of the week?  I'd go with D because;

A: Giving players a late birdie chance can generate drama.

B: Furthest pin location may force a longer iron into the player's hand.

C: That water hazard is going to be in play, even for the best in the world, no matter where the pin is cut... all it takes is one shank or slice off the 15th tee and you're done man!  You had a good run but you're done!

RSS