Help › Forums

Re: Nick Faldo at the Open

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 3 2014 1:52 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2013 4:33 PM

Are you talking about the late, great, legendary Seve Ballesteros?

Show some respect. One of the most gifted natural player players that ever played the game. He was more than good for 2 years, he led the way for a generation. If it was not for him the players would not be earning the sums they are now. He was the the first European golfer to take on the Americans and beat them. He ignited the Ryder Cup. He wore his heart on his sleeve. Nobody love the game more than he did. He could draw galleries even when he wasn't winning. I watched him in the World Matchplay, he was playing for third place, but drew more of a gallery than the final.

He learnt the game on the beach, using just a 3 iron given to him by his older brother. He could do shots that nobody else would think of or even dare to. It was his feel that people loved to watch. You can teach thousands of golfers all the same technique, but there is only one Seve.

He's one more than 90 international tournaments. Won a record breaking 50 tournaments on the European Tour. Won the World Matchplay a record-tying five times. He's won 5 Majors, 3 Opens, 2 Masters. His win at the Open Championship made him the youngest winner of the tournament in the 20th century. 1980 Masters win was the first by a European player and at that time the youngest at 23 years old. At 16 years old he came second in the Open. He led the World Golf rankings for a total of 61 weeks in the period form their inauguration, April 1986 to Spetember 1989.

Wow, that is some luck. I think Gary Player once said something about the more he practiced the luckier he got. Seve was one in a generation. He's the best golfer I've ever seen. I'm half Spanish, so I might be slightly biased, but you would have had to see him to understand what I mean. It's a shame we will never see him play again.

We should always remember what a great golfer he was.

We miss you, Seve.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2013 5:24 PM

JasonNumber100:

We miss you, Seve.

Amen to that.

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2013 8:37 AM

Thank you for your opinion from Thailand.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:11 PM

JasonNumber100:
    I think Gary Player once said something about the more he practiced the luckier he got.

Nah, Ben Hogan said that to a press guy, I think the guy from the press told him "Lucky round Ben" and that was Bens reply

JasonNumber100:
    He learnt the game on the beach, using just a 3 iron given to him by his older brother

Yes, the sand was home to Seve'. I watched him on an old "Shell's Wonderful World of Golf" episode on T.V. They wanted him to shoot a round at St. Andrews with his favorite American Buddy Paul Azinger(I'm kidding, they fought during the Ryer Cup, I should say argued)

Seve' was in the sand during this match, a deep bunker 150 yrds. from the green. Everyone expected Seve to just get the ball out He laced that ball outta that bunker and onto the green! No one could have made a shot like that out of that bunker. He was a real "get out of trouble" golfer, the best at scrambling that I have ever seen.

• SEVEBHOY66
    11 Posts
    Tue, Aug 27 2013 7:11 AM

THE greatest golfer Europe has EVER produced !  We will NEVER forget !  Vamos Seve ,Vamos

JasonNumber100:

Show some respect. One of the most gifted natural player players that ever played the game. He was more than good for 2 years, he led the way for a generation. If it was not for him the players would not be earning the sums they are now. He was the the first European golfer to take on the Americans and beat them. He ignited the Ryder Cup. He wore his heart on his sleeve. Nobody love the game more than he did. He could draw galleries even when he wasn't winning. I watched him in the World Matchplay, he was playing for third place, but drew more of a gallery than the final.

He learnt the game on the beach, using just a 3 iron given to him by his older brother. He could do shots that nobody else would think of or even dare to. It was his feel that people loved to watch. You can teach thousands of golfers all the same technique, but there is only one Seve.

He's one more than 90 international tournaments. Won a record breaking 50 tournaments on the European Tour. Won the World Matchplay a record-tying five times. He's won 5 Majors, 3 Opens, 2 Masters. His win at the Open Championship made him the youngest winner of the tournament in the 20th century. 1980 Masters win was the first by a European player and at that time the youngest at 23 years old. At 16 years old he came second in the Open. He led the World Golf rankings for a total of 61 weeks in the period form their inauguration, April 1986 to Spetember 1989.

Wow, that is some luck. I think Gary Player once said something about the more he practiced the luckier he got. Seve was one in a generation. He's the best golfer I've ever seen. I'm half Spanish, so I might be slightly biased, but you would have had to see him to understand what I mean. It's a shame we will never see him play again.

We miss you, Seve.

JasonNumber100:

We miss you, Seve.

JasonNumber100:

We miss you, Seve.

JasonNumber100:

We miss you, Seve.

JasonNumber100:

We miss you, Seve.

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Tue, Aug 27 2013 12:14 PM

relax sevebhoy...lmao...no need to blow a fuse m8....and no need to quote the same post 5 times...but, just to be clear, who do you think is the greatest Eurpoean player ever?...Sam Torrance?

• jeddythefox
    5 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2013 2:08 PM

best ever european golfer was bernhard langer and still doing it

SIMPLY THE BEST..............

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2013 8:52 PM

Harry Vardon won 6, count them, 6 British Opens.  But that was a long long long time ago.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 1:52 PM

No sorry, disagree!

A couple of Masters wins and various others worldwide and then suffered for years and probably still to this day from the dreaded 'yips'.

So not the best European golfer, by any stretch!!

jeddythefox:

best ever european golfer was bernhard langer and still doing it

SIMPLY THE BEST..............

• PAGES
RSS