Forums

Help › Forums

Kessler Articles

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 30 2009 3:27 PM (0 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2009 3:27 PM

I don't know if this is doable, but I think you should open up a comment field for the Peter Kessler articles.  I often find myself having something to say in response to his articles (which I thoroughly enjoy reading) but have no place to do so.

In response to today's article, winning isn't everything. 

True, Wadkins fluked himself into winning the '77 PGA but no mention is made of his four 2nd place Major finishes (US OPEN '86 & PGA '82 '84 & '87) nor is there a mention of his three 3rd place finishes at The Masters ('90, '91 & '93) or the 4th at The Open ('84).

He had 8 Ryder Cup appearances which ties him for the most among Americans with Raymond Floyd and Billy Casper.  He has 21 career PGA Tour victories as well as 8 additional victories overseas.  He also won his inaugural PGA Champions Tour Event for a total of 30 professional wins. Add to that PGA player of the year honors in 1985.

So while he may have been overshadowed by such names as Price, Nicklaus and Watson, I think in this age of Tiger-Slams and oversized clubheads that his place in the WGHoF is well deserved for his acheivements during his time on tour.  You can't fault the guy for being a contemporary in a "Golden Age of Golf", so to speak.

Congrats Lanny!

RSS