Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Thu, May 21 2020 11:12 AM

That's a very colourful chart Mickey, the boy's got skills.  ; )

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Thu, May 21 2020 12:59 PM

haha scott.....your the boss

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,865 Posts
    Thu, May 21 2020 8:11 PM

triple000:
    I'll wager u don't use a 60sec clock having to do all those calculations..........!!

lol

Actually, I can calculate it very quick (quickly?).

There maybe a lot of words written on how it's done, but it reality (like WGT is real!) it's a fast calculation. Like I wrote, I use N,S,E,W,NE,SE,SW,NW only. When you start with NNE, NNW.... time to call on Nerdyguy with the pocket protector and taped glasses for answers.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 7:26 AM

HUGH65s:

Hi pdiehm

I also play mobile on an ipad. There is a zoom feature that can be set up in your settings. 

I have found this a real bonus when reading dots speeds etc.

Here is the link for setting up.

https://www.lifewire.com/zoom-in-and-out-on-ipad-4103821

Hope this helps 

lol....that worked, but i'm technologically challenged, and get get that stupid magnifying glass off my screen now.  

ipad users do NOT use this...i had to reset my ipad to get rid of it even after turning it off.

• Redmonod
    22 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 5:42 AM

@MGB01...do you adjust the wind velocity based on which course you are on?

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,865 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 10:48 AM

Redmonod:
    do you adjust the wind velocity based on which course you are on?

No, I use the same calculation for every course.

I have noticed some differences when the pin placement and the green is next to a hill or something similar. I wonder if the WGT Brainiacs thought that "the wind would be less intense next to a hill."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it!

Thanks for asking.

Ross

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 11:03 AM

Redmonod:

@MGB01...do you adjust the wind velocity based on which course you are on?

Mickey, won't mind i guess if i respond on his behalf...:)

Of course!! Every course plays differently. The same cross wind 10 mph on SA has nothing common to a same wind at PB. Usually on the Ocean courses you need to play ''more'' wind. However, there are so many factors, such as:

a) what's the distance?

b) Do you hit flat, half back spin, full back spin, full top spin?

c) What club do you use? (a wedge, a light iron, a heavy iron, a wood)

d) What are the specs of your balls?

e) How much is the trajectory on various clubs when you hit 100% and 90% for instance with all kind of spins?

Many factors involved...

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,865 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 2:10 PM

Yiannis1970:
    Of course!! Every course plays differently. The same cross wind 10 mph on SA has nothing common to a same wind at PB.

If you say so. I can only say that if I use my own calculation for wind, I end up where I want to be. As for all the rest of your a, b, c, d items. Of course they make a difference, but that wasn't the question, was it?

I think "a" is most important (since my whole wind blog was based on it). I am indifferent to all the other points. If you use them and end up close to the hole, good for you. I praise your talent.

Cheers!

Ross

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 4:17 PM

If all these factors are the same for your calculations and you end up on the spot you want on any course, good for you!! Keep your system, it works great apparently.

• Redmonod
    22 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 5:44 PM

This is interesting...two Tour Champions that don't agree on whether wind speed varies by course. That is, if the wind speed average is 20 mph, the ball will behave the same way (or not) on St. Andrews as Pinehurst. I am just a poor Legend, so don't have much room to argue, but I'll step my foot into it anyway.

I believe two things: WGT displays the wind speed as measured at a given height above the ground. As the ball follows its trajectory (which depends on club, spin, type of ball, how hard the ball was hit, temperature, etc) the wind speed at the ball height will change (being less near the ground and greater the higher it goes). I think that 20mph as measured at St. Andrews is the same as 20mph as measured at Pinehurst. However, the second thing I believe is that WGT takes into account the terrain features of a given hole. So, Pinehurst with its tree lined fairways which block some amount of wind up to the tree height will have a different wind effect than at St. Andrews with it's lack of trees. A rough way to simulate this difference would be to reduce the 20mph wind at Pinehurst to something like 12mph for cross winds, but leaving head and tail winds closer to 20.

Any thoughts?

RSS