Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Scoring Average Calculations

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 21 2009 6:33 AM (1 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 5:42 AM

OK, I've been here since the beginning, and have seen some very strange anomalies with the weighted scoring system, but this latest one takes the cake.

My last 14 scores are as follows:29,29,29,29,29,29,29,60,61,29,60,61,29,27.

My current average is 57.74.

If we multiply the 9 hole scores by 2, all the 29's become 58's.

How exactly would my scoring average be under 58 if I've only shot one round under that number, and it was the oldest score in the series?  Even if you threw out everything 60 and above, you still shouldn't get a weighted average below 58, since the lowest score was the last in the series, and newer scores carry more weight.

We definitely have to work on the difference between 9 hole and 18 hole scores as it relates to average.  Clearly that one 27 is carrying far more weight than it should in the calculation. 

I think one possible solution is to have 18 hole rounds count as *2* rounds recorded, since it was stated in a previous post that you weren't looking to deviate from using a 9-hole round as a basis for scoring average.  That way, if you were to throw out a a 61, for instance, you'd be removing 2 rounds from the calculation, decreasing the actual number of posted scores being dropped in the last 14 rounds recorded.  As it stands in my first example, all of my 18 hole rounds are being dropped from the calculations, and only my 9 hole rounds are counting toward my scoring average.  Were you to drop only half of those, my average would be correctly above the 58 mark.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 6:33 AM

Hey Tibbs,

The way I see it, it is actually correct to their algorithm.  You should be below 58, maybe not as far as where you are... (because of the 9 vs. 18 thing) but based on what I've seen, it's only the 3 most recent rounds that have a higher weighting as any other rounds.  So you take the 60s and 61s out, leaves you with (9) 29s and a 27.  Doing a rough calculation: (58x3)+(58x2)+(58x1.5)+58+58+58+58+58+58+54=779.... 779/13.5=57.70

This is as close as I've come to estimating the average score calculation but the principal is that 54, even though it's the last score, it still has the same weight as most of the other rounds, but seeing that your best scores are the same as the others too, the weighting doesn't really come into play much here.

Hope this makes even a little bit of sense.

Now having gone through all that, I absolutely agree that this needs to change... making the assumption that because you shot a 27 on the back, you'll have a 54 overall round is completely incorrect.  If anything there should be a weighted adjustment for any 9 hole round score because we all realize that it is a lot harder to keep a score like that going over the length of a full 18.

RSS