Help › Forums

Re: New Players (and not so new) - The most under-utilized shot - The Punch

Wed, Dec 30 2015 11:03 AM (57 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:33 AM

alanti:

AshleyHelton:

Punch shots are vital. I never ever use anything but a punch shot when my lie is worse than 30%-40%. 

There are exceptions - with higher level clubs you can hit full shots in 30-40k% rougjh, Whilst you lose distance they are higher in trajectory - vital if you are playing over a bunker or water.

With lower level clubs I agree, punch is the best option, Again the priority is get the ball back in play and rule out the miracle shot - they seldom work! Course management!

Just what I was going to post. Also holes like   # 5 @BPB a punch wont get you there unless you  take way too much club then you go way over. Where any of the top 3 or 4  iron sets will get you there with a much better chance to stay on. 

• Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 11:41 AM

Ok. I hadn't thought of that. Thx for the clarification.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2015 12:46 AM

Been a while since this post, thought I would bump it for new players

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2015 2:41 PM

That is two very good pieces of advice Steve.

I especially like the fbs wedge stuff, never realised under 80% loses the bs. I am a percentage man, hit 60% for 30 yards etc etc.

Slow down, interesting,....I just get quicker and quicker, so again , good advice.

Thanks

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2015 5:53 AM

Full wedge shot with neutral spin under 40 yards or maybe topspin.

Under 40 yards U can guarantee your followig 1-putt using full backspin but if U want to increase the amount of hole-outs U need to stop applying backspin. Its easier to calculate how ball behaves after landing if it doesnt spin side- or backways.

Also U actually only covers a very few square feet playing full backspin. We all know how ball stops abruptly.

Rolling gently U can actually miss a shot 1 yard distancewise but since its roling gently it still has a chance.

And If U wanna be really good, stop using the punchshot and flopshot. Flopshot is for insane pinpositions or playing with a ball without spin attributes.

Inside 20 yrds its the pitch, outside 20 yards its the full shot type.

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 11:03 AM

duffputt:

Full wedge shot with neutral spin under 40 yards or maybe topspin.

Under 40 yards U can guarantee your followig 1-putt using full backspin but if U want to increase the amount of hole-outs U need to stop applying backspin. Its easier to calculate how ball behaves after landing if it doesnt spin side- or backways.

Also U actually only covers a very few square feet playing full backspin. We all know how ball stops abruptly.

Rolling gently U can actually miss a shot 1 yard distancewise but since its roling gently it still has a chance.

And If U wanna be really good, stop using the punchshot and flopshot. Flopshot is for insane pinpositions or playing with a ball without spin attributes.

Inside 20 yrds its the pitch, outside 20 yards its the full shot type.

+1

I never pitch, never had to.  full swing wedge, neutral spin from 27yds out adding a little more power does it..  Flop shot everything else except for a rare chip.

RSS