Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New Players (and not so new) - The most under-utilized shot - The Punch

Wed, Dec 30 2015 11:03 AM (57 replies)
  • Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 1:21 PM

Bellabluesilver:

oo i got a few course tips too, Beth page 15 the evil hole, after taking the wind into consideration add 13 yards and aim left edge of green the ball should come back to the pin.

and STA hole 2 left pin position take off 8 yards from your shot so it lands on the hill and feeds to the hole or it will go 40 foot past :)

Like this :-)

Not quite 8 yards but not necessary with a wedge :-)

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 1:25 PM

I'll take 40 ft past, been left sitting on that hill far to many times.

• dario2589
    202 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:23 PM

andyson:

Steve2golf:
    Swingmate has been discussed a 1000 times before, do you really feel it necessary to go down that road yet again. This is supposed to be a positive give tips thread.

I guess Swingmate was flying under my radar.  Your post was the 1st I've heard about it.  I searched for "Swingmate" and found one small discussion of it.

To preclude any "cheat" discussions, WGT needs to check out Swingmate, as it has done on other "aids", and give it their thumbs up/down.

This thread will be a challenge to moderate and keep it on a positive note.

Your mileage may vary.  Keep in mind a tip that works for one person might not work for you.    So no need to pooh-pooh the tip or challenge it.

A cheat in gaming is a code that interfers the original code, like an aimbot, something to slow down the meter etc.. Swingmate dont interfer the code of the game, therefore its not a cheat... its just an overlay program that gives information theres no diference with opening the windows calculator having a ruler sticked over your monitor...

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:59 PM

Great to see everyone joining in here, and full credit to WGTdbloshoe for the idea.

Just a couple of points that have been mentioned. First Swingmate - I have seen this in the forums before and it appears to be a calculator, nothing else. Whilst I have not tried this, I did try the other well known calculator mentioned many times in the forums. My conclusion was whilst it was OK it is not as accurate as doing your own sums. For this reason I think you will not go wrong looking at Lizard69 post - I too use this method and is generally very good.

A good point from Forgettaboutit - it is much easier to hit an accurate shot using near full power, this is where players often forget the punch option.

Alosso tip using top spin from heavy lies is a must, just don't get too greedy and ensure you can get back on the fairway.

Last point is something I did not mention in the forst post and is essential you do for EVERY SHOT. Develop a routine and follow this every time for every shot. How many of us have putted from the fringe having been 8 feet away and had the scale set at 100 feet (or hit the scroll wheel on the mouse and hit a drive 60 yards)and bam you end off the green or need binoculars just to see the hole? Routine will prevent these needless errors.

Keep the tips coming, and I agree if we are positive and stay on topic we can all learn, regardless of tier.

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:54 PM

Here is my video on how i play highwinds it may be of some use. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 3:43 AM

notonthis:

Here is my video on how i play highwinds it may be of some use. 

Very kind of you and very useful. Thanks!

• Bellabluesilver
    60 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:10 AM

wow that's great love the hook and the chip on the green good info

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 7:23 AM

Bellabluesilver:

wow that's great love the hook and the chip on the green good info

Beware - It was not a 'chip' on the green! A wedge was used, but only 2 shot types will work effectively: FULL and PUNCH, and the ability to adjust spin is disabled.

If you atttempt a CHIP, FLOP, or PITCH shot type whilst on the green itself the ball will barely move at all.

• Bellabluesilver
    60 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 10:46 AM

I will re watch that part thank you

• Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Wed, Dec 3 2014 12:22 PM

Many good tips here! Thanks so much for getting this thread started, alanti. :)

RSS