Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How do you hit the ding consistently?

Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:05 PM (54 replies)
  • JohntheGiraffe
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 1:24 PM

I def don't get too many dings in a round, like 5 or 10 if I'm lucky. I'm using a Chromebook. I tried a cellphone and dropped that after the first hole, impossible to play on a cellphone. I was a whole bar off on every swing, early or late. But reading through these threads I see that people are using a mouse...which I'm guessing is a lot easier than trying to do it by pressing your finger on a touch screen like I do. If my finger is waiting 3mm from the screen sometimes and other times it's 5mm from the screen, that minute difference would easily result in missing the ding.  I'm reaching for the mouse tonight to see the results. I expect to kick butt. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 3:55 PM

Get a corded mouse. I have a game mouse myself and works good.

When you get the mouse you may have to adjust the sensitivity on it, to your liking.

Play a couple practice rounds to get used to it first. Not a lot of players ding every single shot. Maybe 30%

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 6:20 AM

After you release the shot move your eyes to the Ding line and keep them there.  Imo the worse thing you can do is visually watch the meter moving towards the Ding.  Don't try to pick a spot before the Ding.

Use your peripheral vision while maintaining constant eye contact with the Ding line.

• Faz2000
    93 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2018 9:12 PM

I play on the iPad, so I guess there's a bit less precision in touchscreen finger presses than mouse click (maybe?).

Generally slower meter movement helps (ie. clubs with slower swing speeds AND balls that slow it down).

And definitely filling the bag with clubs with the same (or similar) swing speeds helps. (It would be great to have some slower meter wedges!)

Because the real thing is rhythm. Some days I have it, some I don't. I drag the meter back with my finger, then hover my finger near the ding line and go for it.

On a good day (I had one the other day) I was dinging damn near every stroke for 18 holes (I putted like an absolute hack and still shot an OK 61). 100% fairways hit. White bars on damn near every approach shot. It was great. I could have done it with my eyes closed.

Then on the off days, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I'm launching 3 irons into lakes, and my iPad across the living room. Those are days to get the Consecutive Days XP bonus, and put the game away for the day. :-D

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:05 PM

Hitting the ding is not all that.

There are two things more important than hitting the ding:

1. Not pushing or pulling with the breeze or slope.

Missing the ding against the breeze or slope is forgiving, whereas missing with the breeze or slope is very punishing.

2. Distance.

It goes without saying that if your distances are not right, then hitting the ding is superfluous.

Below are some screenshots of stats from a round I played today at RSG

Winds were between 15-22mph. Green speeds 7.9

RSS