Help › Forums

Re: Uneven lie tutorial

Wed, Nov 6 2019 11:24 AM (120 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2016 5:47 PM

LOLserver:

CerinoDevoti:

I've been observing the "Garden Spot" appears to be a signal to UEL players that you have landed in the most advantagious position off the tee re: the fairway lie, for our approach shots to the greens. I  had a "Garden Spot" call on a layup to a par5 when it hit me.

Anyone else think this could be true?

~CD~

What is a garden spot?

Eric

I really have no idea Eric.  Just noticed it helps a lot if we can land a tee shot in it while playing UEL. I think while playing flat lies it doesn't make much difference.

~CD~

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 3:43 PM

Hmmm ...maybe we could talk WGT into painting circles on the mini-map indicating garden spots...

• XBELL
    99 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2016 5:33 AM

I think the garden spots are where WGT grows the golf balls that we buy........or maybe they grow food for all the birds that you hear but can't see, lol,

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2016 6:43 AM

Guys, I have no idea of how a "garden spot" looks like, isn't simply the "green box" ?

Mind uploading something graphic, a pic perhaps?

Eric

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2016 8:43 AM

LOLserver:

Guys, I have no idea of how a "garden spot" looks like, isn't simply the "green box" ?

Mind uploading something graphic, a pic perhaps?

Eric

The garden spot isn't something we can see. We have to learn where they are by practiing then remembering. I only play practice rounds in UEL so I use *mulligans to hit different shots to find them. Par 4's are mostly where we get the most **help on approach shots from the garden spot in my experience. At Courses like St Georges, Oakmont and Olympic it can make a big difference with the fairway slopes. Also noticed Pebble is chock full of garden spots.

*I play the free ball only so I can use all the mulligans I want for free.

**Help= flattest lie or a lie that will steer the ball most toward the pins or create a draw or fade as the course design intended.

~CD~

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2016 9:04 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    *Help= flattest lie or a lie that will steer the ball most toward the pins or create a draw or fade as the course design intended.

Ha ha, like the severe left to right slope on PB #10 that takes you towards the right hand pin and right over the cliff???  LOL  On that one you have to aim left and also hit early I have found.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2016 6:04 PM

Cleworthy:

CerinoDevoti:
    *Help= flattest lie or a lie that will steer the ball most toward the pins or create a draw or fade as the course design intended.

Ha ha, like the severe left to right slope on PB #10 that takes you towards the right hand pin and right over the cliff???  LOL  On that one you have to aim left and also hit early I have found.

Just tried PB#10 from the tips. Tee shot to garden spot right side of fairway about 270yds. I put the aimer on the cart path left of the bunker pin high. Dinged 3 wood and ball comes in left center of the green and rolls toward the pin. Just like the hole was designed. :)

~CD~

P.S. I use the free ball only.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2016 12:26 AM

What you call the Garden Spot is just the same as the "back" box when playing UEL.....I suppose. 

Indeed, I see sometimes spots where the UEL threads do not move at all either sideways or down/up. I guess when mapping the fairways in 3D the & using UEL the system finds those completely flat spots and shows the black box, but when the lie is not completely 100% flat, is simply does not shows the black box and you see your shots made as in flats.

As you mentioned Cerino, there are many flat spots in Peeble back 9 although you need to take some or big risk to miss fairway when trying to land the ball from the tee in those flat spots; hole 10. 13 & 16 as far as I remember.

After seeing the last UEL weekly tournaments, Peeble & Masters special Editions (not the Tough It Out) and reading what the now very skilled players comment (at least in my CC) do, I see that people are becoming specially good at estimating the lie almost no matter what speed the threads move sideways, although all of them avoid to have down hill lies anyways...lol.

I guess those top UEL players have become simply so good around the green that it is easier for them to save par (if they miss the green) than the rest of us....and yes they putt awesomely great ; )))

UEL is the game!!!

Eric 

• rollinbus1
    110 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2016 11:44 AM

anyone who played real golf knows if the ball above your feet it going to go left so adjust for it below feet will go right same with bunker shots you play before the ball and the ball comes out on a bed of sand .. its a punch shot  ..same as playing out of the rough

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:58 AM

rollinbus1:

anyone who played real golf knows if the ball above your feet it going to go left so adjust for it below feet will go right same with bunker shots you play before the ball and the ball comes out on a bed of sand .. its a punch shot  ..same as playing out of the rough

+1

And the effects of lies & slopes are ridiculously exaggerated in WGT uneven lies.

RSS