Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 'Tough-It-Out II': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open RETURNS!

Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:44 AM (742 replies)
  • seemorehair
    228 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2013 8:37 PM

Corwyn:

Sadly, there isn't a way to finish the round. Because WGT is currently only offering Unevens in practice mode, games are not saved after a disconnect, and cannot be resumed. Hence the suggestion that you grab card shots frequently. I think it only happened once during the last tourney, but of course, it happened when someone was playing great.

Hmmm... this is tricky. Are you frequently unable to finish a multiplayer game?

I used to play in Golfseekers and we saved the scorecard every hole in case of disconnects. Then we posted the incomplete card and started the 9 holes over and only started scoring after the hole which we disconnected on. Sometimes if it happened near the end we would try a random 3 to pick up a missing hole.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:03 PM

In ladders of which I am no longer part of, we had many comps that required screenshots, and it ain't difficult, but the important thing to get used to is just do it every hole like Semore says above.

It will become automatic and when you get to the end just make sure you save the final shot.

All the previous screenshots will disappear and not fill up ur computer.

That is the easy part, cos in Ladders we were able to upload pics directly from our own computer, but not so here, one has to upload to a file sharing site and then copy the URL to the thread. I find that a real pain in the ar$e.

I use Snagit10 for the screenshots, and Picassa for uploading to Web Albums (google)

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:54 PM

seemorehair:
    I used to play in Golfseekers and we saved the scorecard every hole in case of disconnects. Then we posted the incomplete card and started the 9 holes over and only started scoring after the hole which we disconnected on.
    This works for scores but not for stats:

- You'd have to take at least two screenshots at any desired moment,

- the calculations might get out of hand, they are impossible if you play "dummy" holes.

The result might be that there are no valid GIR and putting scores available.

And, while I propose to practice and accept division exclusively in front&back nine, it should only be an exception to avoid the additional work and possible scepticism.

• MizzyMan
    52 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:04 AM

Well, I was playing a practice round on the back 9 of Oakmont and managed to make a sweet eagle on #14. 

Check it out!

This was the only highlight from the horrendous round. lol

Mizzy

• wassernixe
    375 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:27 AM

Corwyn:

Wassernixe & devonnnnn: Your form entries under "Exceptions" both said "Saturday" ... do you mean that's a good or a bad day?

hello,
    in the evening I have Saturday always between 18.00 and 21.00 o'clock my times
    greeting herbert

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2013 4:42 AM

Nice shot, Mizzy!!! 

(Somehow, it's so much more satisfying to see a long approach shot holed that's had to roll its way perfectly to the hole, rather than just spinning in from close).

Bet you would be happy to have saved that for the real round, though!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:03 AM

alosso:

seemorehair:
    I used to play in Golfseekers and we saved the scorecard every hole in case of disconnects. Then we posted the incomplete card and started the 9 holes over and only started scoring after the hole which we disconnected on.
    This works for scores but not for stats:

- You'd have to take at least two screenshots at any desired moment,

- the calculations might get out of hand, they are impossible if you play "dummy" holes.

The result might be that there are no valid GIR and putting scores available.

And, while I propose to practice and accept division exclusively in front&back nine, it should only be an exception to avoid the additional work and possible scepticism.

This is all so tricky... I do hope we don't get people in this situation, but with so many players, it's almost inevitable.

I propose the following rules:

1. Scores and Stats will be accepted in Front9 and Back9 increments (although as Paul says, it makes for extra work, so full 18s are much preferred).

2. Scores alone will be accepted in whatever increments are needed to finish a round, provided you've taken and submit all the card shots required.

3. Stats need to be submitted in manageable increments of 18, or Front9 and Back9. If you have a disconnect mid-round and you want to stay in the running for any of the stats-related special prizes, you have 2 choices:

a. Start over, losing your score from the disconnected game.

b. Finish the game to complete your scorecard (and/or help your partner finish), knowing that those stats won't be able to be submitted... and then, play another round (with a marker if needed) for the purpose of the stats: however, since you could play the 2nd round purely to gain a specific type of good stat, the score you submit shall be the average (rounded up) between the 2 scores, or the first score, whichever is the worst.

For example: I eventually shoot 72 in a broken-up game. I play again to get a complete stat set, but this time shoot 79 (cos really I'm just trying to hit GIR and my putting sucks from 80+ft). I get to post my fabulous GIR stats, but my score gets adjusted to a 76 (72+79 = 151/2 = 75.5 rounded up to 76).

Hopefully this is a fair way of providing some penalty, and preventing abuse. Any thoughts, better suggestions?

The key advice:

1. Take card shots as often as you can (it's a good habit and it's protection for the main issue, your score).

2. Pause long enough to get a full Stats set after Front9.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:16 AM

WOW sounds like this tourney is turning into a lot of work, I really don't think we need all the screen shots. 

Nobody is going to use their normal clubs and balls, I think we should go on the honor system, and just show the score card. After all we only get 90 seconds to shoot.....lol after I figure out what the heck I'm going to do with the shot I have doesn't leave me much time to go to the other browser to pull up infraview, then put the picture on my desktop,then go to photobucket and upload the picture their.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:42 AM

Hi Gary,

It's actually easily done to make an honest mistake and have a wrong club in the bag, so yes, we do need Screenshots to verify clubs/conditions etc. It also makes the tourney much more real to see everyone's avatars, the courses and holes themselves, and especially, to get a good giggle at people's chat comments as they navigate the challenging conditions. 

I agree it would be great if we could rely on the honor system, but actually seeing the pics adds a lot else besides.

During actual gameplay, there are only 2 screenshots you need to take, a 2nd shot approach on any of the last 5 holes, and a greenshot (ditto), so those shouldn't impact the 90 seconds much at all. My habit is to take them right away, just pressing my screengrab buttons, pasting them instantly into Preview, and getting right back into the game, a few seconds at most. Once they're on your computer somewhere, don't spend the time uploading until after the round. (And just for connectivity reasons alone, I never have any other browsers, or browser windows open while playing)

All the other card, and stat shots, you can take between holes, before pressing Continue.

Hope that makes it seem a little easier... :)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:51 AM

FYI all: I have now updated the 1st page post with Prize information (copied here as well):

Please let me know right away if I've missed anything/anyone!!! Thanks!

------------------------------------

PRIZES: Tourney organizers are covering the main prizes, which are as follows:

1st place: 2,500 credit purchases in the Pro Shop
    2nd place: 1,500 credit purchases in the Pro Shop
    3rd place: 1,000 credit purchases in the Pro Shop

Here is the list of Special Prizes: A Huge Thank You to all our Prize Sponsors!!!

(please note, to help encourage continued participation in the tourney by all players, some special prizes are restricted. Asterixed prizes below are subject to the following condition: anyone placing in the top 3 prizes above is only eligible for 50% of the prize. The remaining 50% will go to the highest placed player not otherwise winning a prize. 

1. Most Greens in Regulation (750 credit purchases in the Pro Shop; ***)

2. Closest Distance to the Pin  (750 credit purchases in the Pro Shop; ***)

3. Greatest Improvement (relative to par) throughout the tourney (from Rnd 1-4)
    (Top 2 players in this category win a sleeve of balls of their choice; sponsor: jimbean346)

4. Most Birdies across whole tourney (goes to next placed player not already in top 3 places): (1 player wins a sleeve of balls of their choice; sponsor: jimbean346)

5. Least Bogies or Worse across whole tourney (goes to next placed player not already in top 3 places): (1 player wins a sleeve of balls of their choice; sponsor: jimbean346)

6. Longest total distance of putts across whole tourney (1 player wins a sleeve of lvl71 Nikes or 450cr; note winner will need to post their Putting stats tab each round to be eligible; sponsor MizzyMan)

7. Lowest final score among players Master tier or below (at start of tourney): 
    (1 player wins a new set of irons of player's choice; sponsor: bhoese; details and conditions here)

8. 9 hole personal coaching session with defending champion Hans! 
    (sponsor: Hanswurst72)
    This (very nice) Consolation Prize is for one lucky random winner who finishes all 4 rounds and does not win one of the other prizes! "You will be able to play with your proper clubs and course/conditions of your choice, and ask whatever you want...  and I hope this will help you to achieve your goals in this game ;)"

Note: in the event of ties for any of the placings, we'll follow the WGT approach to resolving them, essentially, best scores for the last 9 holes etc. (So, for the special prizes, it will be best score for last round, then penultimate round, in the event of a tied placing.) WGT rules in full are here: http://www.wgt.com/help.aspx#ties [Needless to say, organizers decision will be final should one be needed]

Please note: to be eligible for prizes, you will need to submit full and complete score posts, with the statistical data tabs, for each round.

-------------------------------------------

RSS