Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hole #1 Oakmont

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:18 PM (3 replies)
  • fancyfeet4
    23 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 6:38 AM

I have no idea where to land it to get it to stay on the green.  I end up long 75% of the time.  I figured out the chip pretty well, but when I leave it short it gets even harder as its downhill and breaking.

Any tips on the approach?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 6:56 AM

fancyfeet4:
     I end up long 75% of the time.

There is a 36 foot drop to the green from the fairway. That's a pretty sizeable elevation change and it sounds like you might be over clubbing. With the irons you're playing you can't depend on spin to stop the shot so you will need to roll up to the pin. I suspect you already know this. 

Try aiming in the reverse view and aim for the top of that rise in front of the green. Make sure your shot lands on a line to the right of the pin as anything left will roll you into the fringe. When you aim like this use the yardage to the aimer, not the pin, and allow for the drop in elevation by either backing off your swing or using a shorter club. GL

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 11:47 PM

fancyfeet,

With your current iron setup you will never be able to stop the ball. From what I've seen playing with people that have lower-end irons [no offense], you need to hit the ball roughly 10 yards (depends on wind) in front of the green and about 7 yards to the right of the pin. Doing this can result in the ball barely getting over the hill and rolling over to the left near the pin.

If you're long using that method, it will be a 10-20' putt that breaks left to right, easy two putt.

If you're short using that method, the chip will roll right to left leaving you below the hole for an easy uphill tow putt.

Jim's advice is also extremely solid, listen up and good luck!

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:18 PM
RSS