266 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 12:00 PM

HI

The ping driver,woods,irons,wedges are all awesome 

james

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 4:36 PM

Agreed. Raptures, G10s, i15s, G15s; Ping does it all.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 9:58 AM

TheLighterDark:

Agreed. Raptures, G10s, i15s, G15s; Ping does it all.

I don't completely agree with you. I rented the G15 iron set Sunday night and played several rounds with them Sunday night and Monday morning including both open qualifiers. I am not overly impressed with the G15 iron set. To have 1 1/2 dot more precision than my raptures they did not perform much better than the raptures if at all. And the 1 dot extra spin did not show any improvement over the raptures even with a 2 dot spin ball. And no it was not the meter speed as I have been playing the G15 driver for close to 3 weeks and am dinging the meter fairly regularly using the tour gi-s ball. 

And there are many trade-offs. Only 2 clubs offer extra distance, the 3 iron at 205 versus the raptures 200 and the 4 iron at 195 versus the raptures 190. both 5 irons are rated at 180. The 6 iron through pitching wedge are all rated 5 yards shorter that the raptures. But the real problem with them is their performance or should I say non- performance out of 30% bunker lies. A perfect dinged 8 iron that would have gone around 120 yards for the rapture went a grand total of 20 yards for the G15 8 iron. These are the bunkers at St. Andrews back nine that are only a problem in the qualifiers as drives from the pro tees clear them easily. They perform just about as badly out of the 30/40 % rough. I don't know if this is a bug or the intended program as some game improvement clubs don't perform well out of heavy sand or heavy rough. 

For me until I reach master if I ever do I'll be sticking with the raptures unless I decide to try the 2010 model but I'm not sure if 1/2 dot of precision extra is worth spending the extra cash.

-

RSS