Forums

Help › Forums

Re: pitching and stopping

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:04 PM (4 replies)
  • wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 6:40 AM

dont get me wrong   unlike  most of the posters on here  I am not an 8 handicap or anything, but watching the pros on tv,  using a top of the line wedge with a 28 yrd pitch distance, and hitting a 22 yrd pitch, and having tour sd balls,  should the pitch not bounce a couple of times then stop, not roll up hill 10 yrds past the cup.   using 70% power?   on # 8 on st andy  by the way from behind the green.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 7:02 AM

From the direction you were chipping the landing is downhill. You aren't going to stop anything there so you have to do just as you did-roll up. The problem is you didn't take into account the slope you were negotiating. 

When you are off the green you can't take the elevation change literally. You might be 10" below the cup giving you the impression the shot is uphill when in reality it is actually downhill at the landing area. Switch to the putting view and look at it in reverse. You will then see what you have to deal with. GL

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 10:46 AM

I would always flop from that distance if you want the ball to stop.

And awesome advice Jim, I didn't know that.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 7:15 PM

lol    the flop does not stop either.   and  when I had a dwon hill putt back to the hole,  I just asumed the opposit direction would be up hill,  my bad,   but  would it not at least slow it down,  I mean   30 ft roll  out?   just saying  I have watched  people do it in real life,  well on tv, and it seemed to work for them.

edit:    just as a side note   it does the same thing on #9 st andys,  and that green is Flat.

• jhind1983
    8 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:04 PM

It's probably not the best idea, but I usually try to avoid chips and pitches whenever possible.  Faced with a 25-yard pitch, I'll flop it or use half a full swing with my 50-degree wedge probably 80% of the time.

That having been said, I've learned that when I *do* chip or pitch, I always use a club or two down from what the caddie suggests.  Just because the tooltip says a pitching wedge will hit it 17 yards, doesn't mean that it won't roll another ten feet past the hole.  My rule of thumb on chips and pitches is to use backspin and always use a club that will supposedly go a yard or two less than the distance to the hole. 

While I don't chip many in this way, I do usually end up inside 2ft for an easy tap-in.

RSS