Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Oakmont elevations

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:53 AM (2 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:11 AM

Flat wasn't invented when they put Oakmont together. There's more up and down there than a Coney Island roller coaster and it's critical you take that into account when playing.

A quick and easy way to get close to the right club selection where elevation is concerned is to convert the elevation change, shown in feet, to yards and add or subtract that from your distance calculations. 

For instance, you're looking at a 136 yd approach to a green 37 ft above you. 37 ft is 12 yards (always round down for consistency) and since it's above you you would add it to the 136 and shoot for 148 yards. Conversely, if the hole was below you by 37 feet you'd be hitting to 124 yards.

This technique will get you to a place where you can take your own methods and refine them. The key is to know that your club yardages are based on flat terrain and there's no such thing at Oakmont. GL

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:46 AM

Jim..Not sure if you are referring to Oakmont specifically or not(have not had the opportunity to play there yet)?  My generic rule in adjusting distance for elevation changes to the target is similar to yours for approach targets that are below you but I add one-half, rather than one-third, for approach targets that are above you.    

Harve

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:53 AM

Harve-Yes, the thread title gave it away. ;-)  The elevations we've had to deal with on the other courses pale in comparison to Oakmont. Just about every hole you have to factor it in unlike the few at BPB and 1 or 2 at KIA. I'm just using what used to work in Links so I'd be interested in hearing how your method works. GL

RSS