Forums

Help › Forums

Re: StoneCold's Putting Clinic

Mon, Sep 24 2018 2:25 AM (96 replies)
  • DoctorEagle
    1,312 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 1:01 AM

oneeyedjohn:

I don't understand the part where you talk about 'columns'.

Do you mean the vertical ( perpendicular ) line on the grid or do you mean the area defined by the two vertical lines on the grid ?

"The dots on the grid are most accurately depicting the slope of the green where the center of the column is (or underneath the center of the column)."

Not sure, maybe the center of the grid but directly underneath where you hold the green arrow/aimer /pointer. So when you use the pitch option and move the pointer around, it centers the grid/slope/break of the spot where your putt will roll as it passes that part of the green. It's not so much reading the pitch/putt view always, it's just that it gives you a different perspective of how to read putts. Maybe one that's "the right way," but that's debatable I'm sure.

This isn't meant as a complaint, but does WGT place a bit more emphasis on the break at the start of the putt than real golf, or only on some occasions? There's food for though for ya :D

• gjps4
    298 Posts
    Tue, Feb 17 2015 10:18 AM

Help me and is also true to what I was doing without realising it. Thanks for the help and confirmation.

• NotFacebookCraw
    49 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2015 12:39 PM

DoctorEagle:

"The dots on the grid are most accurately depicting the slope of the green where the center of the column is (or underneath the center of the column)."

I'm starting to disagree with this.  I believe that the dots on the grid represent the average slope of the grid line.  In those situations where a pronounced slope change occurs, the center of the grid column may be misrepresented.  For example, consider the bottom of the slope between the two tiers on a two-tiered green.  The bottom tier could be completely flat, but if, say 1/4 of the grid column is up the slope then the whole grid column will read a break even though the center of the column is flat.  That is why you have to slowly move the grid around in chip view and watch how the dots react.

Subtle swales in the green can cause the dots to change speed or even reverse direction within a few inches.  It is particularly noticeable on a handful of Kiawah's greens and the front portion of Olympic 17.  On Oly 17 there is a rill in the green about 7' below the front left pin placement.  It is a tiny hill that is narrower than one grid column (2').  The general slope from below the hole is left to right for that putt.  If you get a putt where the little hill is straddled by the grid lines, you will get a false read.  The dots give you the slope average from the left edge to the right edge.  They ignore elevation changes within that grid block.  Using the chip view and slowly moving the grid back and forth within that two foot area, you can see the dot slow and change direction as the edge of the grid block slides up and down that tiny hill.  This is why you can get the occasional mind-bending putt where the dots say left to right and the putt actually breaks right to left.   

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2015 9:28 PM

Advice from a player with a 34% one putt percentage is probably not the best source to improve a players putting stats and or performance,to improve scout out those with a 55% or higher avg and see what they have to  contribute,then practice practice practice.....Just say'in ....:)

• NotFacebookCraw
    49 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 6:47 AM

DaveStrock:

Advice from a player with a 34% one putt percentage is probably not the best source to improve a players putting stats and or performance,to improve scout out those with a 55% or higher avg and see what they have to  contribute,then practice practice practice.....Just say'in ....:)

The point of your post is well taken but not helpful.  Certainly Tour Legends with 4000+ rounds have more experience to draw from.  At only 500ish rounds, my stats are still heavily skewed by going through the learning curve.  Once I got a handle on the putting (helped in large part by in-game discussions with Tour Legends about using chip view), my scores plummeted and I quickly advanced to Legend.  So "Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics."  Now that my bruised ego has been defended, the real question is "Do you disagree with my observation about the dots?  And if so, why?"  The mechanics of the dots aren't affected by my one-putt percentage.  Either I'm on the right track or I'm not.  Don't just slap down the newb, tell us why I'm wrong.

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 4:03 PM

After 103 levels of play, i still can't putt

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 4:05 PM

In 100 years...

After 1200 levels of play, i still can't putt

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2015 6:03 PM

I am not a stupid person but in the past 3 years I have read your putting instructions between 10 and 15 times.  Each time hoping that "This time" it would click in my mind.  Not to be!

Example..."miss the ding by 1-2 pixels" How the heck much is a Pixel? 

Many of these references you make are like Greek to me.  Maybe someday I will figure it out but for now I remain the worst putting Tour Legend at WGT.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2015 6:32 PM

Asking a question to a thread that was started ?? 2011?

Keep trying in practice rounds and figure out why it is missing the hole !

it's all numbers in the end.

Siggi 

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2015 6:49 PM

Imagine that to mean "1-2 widths of the line moving across the meter". I guess that line is 3-4 pixels. You can not visually detect see any smaller increments anyway.

I assume you are practising the "miss ding" technique? If you do that, then I suggest you leave it and practice the "ding" technique instead. Then, eventually, you will learn how much difference a missed ding makes. It is club dependent.

In my opinion,  only very short putts, less than 4 ft, should be intentionally "missed". A missed ding increase the "randoms" that affects the shot and you'll become a victim of circumstances.

RSS