Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Programming II

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:15 AM (118 replies)
  • thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:30 AM

If the game decides it's going to let you score good it will......If it decides it's gonna mess with your game it will. It's only a computer game after all.

It's X% skill versus Y% what the game decide.More luck than anything else. Important thing is to have fun.

tbe

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:38 AM

thebigeasy707:
    It's X% skill versus Y% what the game decides. More luck than anything else.

I sure would like to get my hands on some of your putting 'luck'. :)

thebigeasy707:
    If the game decides it's going to let you score good it will......If it decides it's gonna mess with your game it will.

I do agree that there are more factors at play than anyone wants to admit.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:43 AM

putting's the easier part...it's only down to knowing the greens, reading them correctly and practising hard......it's the approaches to the greens and where you land on them that matters most.....and that's the bit where the X&Y comes in....i.e you hit what you think is a decent shot.....but what will the game think? that's what counts :)

sometimes a shot will land you 3 ft from hole but the next day....same shot / same conditions could drift 16ft from hole....that's where good putters smack in birdies instead of pars.

tbe

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:57 AM

thebigeasy707:
    putting's the easier part...it's only down to knowing the greens, reading them correctly and practising hard...

It's getting easier for me now. I've went from about 40% one putt to just over 51% in the past few months. I'd like to see my stats from just the last 100 or so rounds.

thebigeasy707:
    sometimes a shot will land you 3 ft from hole but the next day....same shot / same conditions could drift 16ft from hole...

I see this even in the same round. Played a ready-go at Kia this morning from the short tees. I honestly think I'd have been better off closing my eyes while hitting my approaches on the front. Even par at the turn, can't remember the last time I didn't break par there. But, before I stepped on to the tenth tee, it was like some magical switch had been flipped and I rattled off 8 straight birdies and then missed a seven footer for bird on 18 to finish -8 for the round. 

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:16 AM

I think this game's realistic enough.....Let's face it.....go onto a practise ground (real life) and if you can manage to hit five pretty much identical mid iron shots, more than likely you will find they'll land a noticeable difference apart....albeit 5-10 yrds apart.....so as much as folks like to complain on here (including me) about wayward shots....I think wgt have got it mostly right by trying to keep it realistic.

But back on topic.....sure programming could be manipulated by a programmer to do anything & to individual players but as much as I like a good conspiracy theory, I honestly don't think this happens.....regardless of how much folks noise up Icon or other wgt staff  :)

It wouldn't be worth the hassle...is too much to risk....and as a whole I think we can have faith in the integrity of the game from WGT's side.

tbe

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:01 PM

thebigeasy707:
    But back on topic.....sure programming could be manipulated by a programmer to do anything & to individual players but as much as I like a good conspiracy theory, I honestly don't think this happens.....regardless of how much folks noise up Icon or other wgt staff  :)

Honestly - this discussion / topic has opened my eyes to a few things, ALL positive. Thanks to everyone for some very precise feedback. 

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:16 PM

GlassMan27:
    For the record, I would have quit playing here a long time ago if I ever truly believed I was not provided with a level playing field on which to compete

I'm glad to hear you believe in WGT, and the fact that we give all of our players a level playing field.

GlassMan27:
    So, based on your comments throughout this thread... am I correct in assuming that in no way, shape, or form VEM being utilized on this site?

No, VEM is a crucial system within WGT. I can understand the confusion surrounding this subject, so I sat down with the CEO (and owner of the patent) and he helped me decipher the legalese so that I may share it with you.

Essentially, the patent is for legal protection. It does give us the right to change the properties of clubs and balls, which we do often, but mainly it is for protecting the legal side of WGT. Whenever we exercise our right to change clubs and/or balls given to us by this patent, we do so unilaterally, and we tell the community about it. The only reasons we would do this is for balancing or bug correcting purposes.

Now, back to the question that keeps coming up "Does WGT have the capability to manipulate individual player's equipment?" The answer is yes, we have the capability to do nearly anything to anyone, any course, any time, anywhere. The next question you should ask is "Does the video game I play operate in such an underhanded way that they would practice this capability?"

The reason I say "the video game I play" and not "WGT" is because I want to make the point that similar companies has similar capabilities to manipulate the environment they produce.  Think of any other similar online game you have played. Did you trust them to operate honestly? To provide a level playing field for all players? If you did, I assume you stuck around a while. If you didn't, then I wouldn't blame you for spending your recreational time elsewhere.

This is essentially what this question boils down to - yes, WGT has the power to manipulate the environment and/or clubs and balls they produce. Do you believe us when we say that we don't do so in an individual, unknown, shady deal but rather in a public, across the board manner that affects every player the exact same way? This is for the consumer to decide. We give you our word that we do not abuse the power of VEM, nor do we give our players the capability to do so. What you do with this information is your choice.

I am certain there will still be "conspiracy theorists" out there who believe otherwise, and that is expected and perfectly acceptable. The only problem is when these theories are stated as facts. When someone passionately devotes so much time and effort into mastering a game, it is inevitable that at certain times they will fail when they feel the opposite outcome should have happened. The natural reaction that humans come to when they think they have all their bases covered but still fail is transference.

I hope I was able to address all of your concerns and that I explained myself thoroughly. As always, my door is open, so feel free to send me a personal message or respond here with any questions :)

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:59 PM

WGTpizza:

GlassMan27:
    For the record, I would have quit playing here a long time ago if I ever truly believed I was not provided with a level playing field on which to compete

I'm glad to hear you believe in WGT, and the fact that we give all of our players a level playing field.

GlassMan27:
    So, based on your comments throughout this thread... am I correct in assuming that in no way, shape, or form VEM being utilized on this site?

No, VEM is a crucial system within WGT. I can understand the confusion surrounding this subject, so I sat down with the CEO (and owner of the patent) and he helped me decipher the legalese so that I may share it with you.

Essentially, the patent is for legal protection. It does give us the right to change the properties of clubs and balls, which we do often, but mainly it is for protecting the legal side of WGT. Whenever we exercise our right to change clubs and/or balls given to us by this patent, we do so unilaterally, and we tell the community about it. The only reasons we would do this is for balancing or bug correcting purposes.

Now, back to the question that keeps coming up "Does WGT have the capability to manipulate individual player's equipment?" The answer is yes, we have the capability to do nearly anything to anyone, any course, any time, anywhere. The next question you should ask is "Does the video game I play operate in such an underhanded way that they would practice this capability?"

The reason I say "the video game I play" and not "WGT" is because I want to make the point that similar companies has similar capabilities to manipulate the environment they produce.  Think of any other similar online game you have played. Did you trust them to operate honestly? To provide a level playing field for all players? If you did, I assume you stuck around a while. If you didn't, then I wouldn't blame you for spending your recreational time elsewhere.

This is essentially what this question boils down to - yes, WGT has the power to manipulate the environment and/or clubs and balls they produce. Do you believe us when we say that we don't do so in an individual, unknown, shady deal but rather in a public, across the board manner that affects every player the exact same way? This is for the consumer to decide. We give you our word that we do not abuse the power of VEM, nor do we give our players the capability to do so. What you do with this information is your choice.

I am certain there will still be "conspiracy theorists" out there who believe otherwise, and that is expected and perfectly acceptable. The only problem is when these theories are stated as facts. When someone passionately devotes so much time and effort into mastering a game, it is inevitable that at certain times they will fail when they feel the opposite outcome should have happened. The natural reaction that humans come to when they think they have all their bases covered but still fail is transference.

I hope I was able to address all of your concerns and that I explained myself thoroughly. As always, my door is open, so feel free to send me a personal message or respond here with any questions :)

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

Woe! Doesn't get ANY clearer than this. Thanks pizza.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 1:49 PM

Yupps....that's answered a few questions. Thanks.

RSS