Help › Forums

Re: St. Andy #2 close approach

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 20 2010 8:38 PM (3 replies)
  • ShonFields
    25 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 12:16 PM

How can you get it close?

Or should I just get used to that 33' right to left up the hiller?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 12:32 PM

Good stuff in this thread:

Tips on St Andrews # 2 hole...

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 8:30 PM

andyson:

This.

And since your using Start Irons (which typically is what you'll be using), I recommend upgrading to either the G10 Master Iron Set (Steel) for 1,200 credits or the i15 Master Iron Set (Steel) for 1,925 credits.

Either of these will significantly increase the way in which you approach the pin. Paired up with a ball that has good spin, such as Tour S, Tour SD, Tour GI-S, or Tour GI-SD balls, you can actually try to hit your approach 2-3 yards in front of the pin [unlike bouncing it off the front] and let it roll slightly down the hill.

It will take you a while to get used to the new meter speed, but after a while, I promise that it will turn #2 into a [25-60% of the time] birdie hole!

Good luck and hit 'em well.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 8:38 PM

TheLighterDark:

This.

And since your using Start Irons (which typically is what you'll be using), I recommend upgrading to either the G10 Master Iron Set (Steel) for 1,200 credits or the i15 Master Iron Set (Steel) for 1,925 credits.

Either of these will significantly increase the way in which you approach the pin. Paired up with a ball that has good spin, such as Tour S, Tour SD, Tour GI-S, or Tour GI-SD balls, you can actually try to hit your approach 2-3 yards in front of the pin [unlike bouncing it off the front] and let it roll slightly down the hill.

It will take you a while to get used to the new meter speed, but after a while, I promise that it will turn #2 into a [25-60% of the time] birdie hole!

Good luck and hit 'em well.

To add on to this, if you have a powerful driver (R9, G10, i15) and wedges with good spin you will often find yourself getting birdie on this hole. If the wind is at your back you can get your driver in wedge territory and then it's just flag hunting =)

RSS