Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Best upgrades for ~1200 credits?

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 17 2010 2:49 PM (6 replies)
  • jhind1983
    8 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 6:06 PM

I've got a friend who's an amateur playing with all the default gear.  What clubs and/or balls will give him the most "bang for his buck" for around 1200 credits?

I was thinking maybe the spider putter and either the Taylor Made R9 or Tour Burner driver?

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 8:38 PM

At amateur level I don't believe he'll be able to purchase an r9 or burner. Not sure though too lazy to check the pro shop for static advice.

The best bet would be to sit on the credits until  at least becoming pro status.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 9:01 PM

answer putt is a little better...best driver you can get for his ranking would help make it to pro...stick to slower meter to match his stock stuff

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 1:59 PM

Tell him to stick to his current setup until he ranks up to the Pro tier, then purchase a 2010 Rapture V2 Pro 9.5° Driver for 1,185 credits... it's very forgiving and will add a great deal of distance off of the tee box. 

From there he can rank up to Master tier and make a full purchase of another new Driver, 3 Wood, Irons, Wedges, and Putter... the whole shabang.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:27 PM

Best advice I can give your friend, is to play with you more so he can see how a pro manages the course, which should help him pick up some lost strokes that will get him to Pro tier.  Then buy driver.  Balls help but they are short term and will need to be replaced after a few rounds.  Tell them to also play practice rounds to try different shots, that takes the pressure off posting a score, plus that will allow them to be more comfortable with certain shots and they should be able to pick up several strokes a side.  Easiest way to shave off strokes, learn the short stuff, putting chipping, pitching, bunkers shots, flop shots.  Easiest way to learn the short stuff, start with the FAQ's and playing with better players and ask them for advice.  Most have no problem telling you what they hit and how they hit it and most importantly (IMO) why they hit that shot that way.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:48 PM

For the irons, it may sounds stupid but I was impressed by the Starters Plus. Almost the same as the Starters but with a much lower meter speed (cut by half)! ...and for 50 credits for the whole set you can't go wrong.

Apparently, the Spider is terrible for the precision, but forgiveness and speed seems OK. I would wait til he gets to Pro and buy the Daytona for 750cr. If it's really too much, the Ping Anser (400cr) is pretty good too as I used it for a while.

But 1200cr is not a lot. Eventually he will have to fork out a bit more. The Daytona + a good driver (ex. the G10-10.5) + the Starter Plus = more or less 1500cr.

Add maybe 1 or 2 good wedges (52w or 64w) and you're around 2000cr. But for the "price-of-5-cups-at-Starbucks" that you put in credits instead, believe me the game is a lot more enjoyable.

Rob

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:49 PM

danohi50:
    stick to slower meter to match his stock stuff

No advise to give here as i feel  ALL 5 reply's are just excellent... I just wanted to compound danohi's  superb statement.  Whether it be fast or slow , matching ALL meter speeds in the bag  is just excellent advise for anyone ; espeacially  for our newer members.

"Ace"

RSS