Forums

Help › Forums

Re: You've got to laugh....so why am I crying?

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 18 2010 9:18 AM (7 replies)
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 6:40 AM

Date 16/05/2010

Destination: St Andrews

18 Hole Ready Go Tournament.

Picture the scene.....

Out in 30, perfectly respectable, bordering on excellent but not quite there. I then rattle in 7 consecutive birdies to be -13 on the Road Hole tee. Par in for a 59, if the Road Hole is negotiated successfully, who knows a 58 may be on the cards. Ah but there's a fly in the ointment.....I've never shot a sub 60 round before.

The heart rate has gone up a few beats....one good drive is absolutely essential here. Anything else will see you in the fescue and a bogey awaits. I nail the drive, 330 yards right down the middle. 2nd shot misses the green, flopped on and holed the putt. Great joy!

Now I am standing on the tee with the widest fairway in world golf at my mercy, no need for heroics. Just avoid the out of bounds, knock on a lob wedge and hole the putt or putts and finally a sub 60 will be the reward. I set myself up and........whack I get a meter stutter and the ball is topped 70 yards into the burn!!! It crawled in too laughing at me all the way. It even wiped its feet before disappearing into the water.

All is not lost, one good shot on and a putt will save par. I hit it on to 95 feet and 3 jab for a 6. A potential 58/59 becomes a 61. I'm sure I can hear Ha Ha from a Nelson Muntz like character standing outside Auchterlonie's.

Gutted.......the quest continues............

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 10:32 PM

I just shot 59 at The Ocean Course on Saturday... great feeling. Sorry about the meter lag... crazy how it always starts at the most important of times huh? 

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 10:46 PM

tiffer67:

Date 16/05/2010

Destination: St Andrews

18 Hole Ready Go Tournament.

Picture the scene.....

Out in 30, perfectly respectable, bordering on excellent but not quite there. I then rattle in 7 consecutive birdies to be -13 on the Road Hole tee. Par in for a 59, if the Road Hole is negotiated successfully, who knows a 58 may be on the cards. Ah but there's a fly in the ointment.....I've never shot a sub 60 round before.

The heart rate has gone up a few beats....one good drive is absolutely essential here. Anything else will see you in the fescue and a bogey awaits. I nail the drive, 330 yards right down the middle. 2nd shot misses the green, flopped on and holed the putt. Great joy!

Now I am standing on the tee with the widest fairway in world golf at my mercy, no need for heroics. Just avoid the out of bounds, knock on a lob wedge and hole the putt or putts and finally a sub 60 will be the reward. I set myself up and........whack I get a meter stutter and the ball is topped 70 yards into the burn!!! It crawled in too laughing at me all the way. It even wiped its feet before disappearing into the water.

All is not lost, one good shot on and a putt will save par. I hit it on to 95 feet and 3 jab for a 6. A potential 58/59 becomes a 61. I'm sure I can hear Ha Ha from a Nelson Muntz like character standing outside Auchterlonie's.

Gutted.......the quest continues............

Even with that bad last hole your score was and is 6 strokes better than my best.

I did manage to put together a 33/31 in the week 18 multi-round tourney to finish in second place but have never really been able to play a great 18. The 67 I shot at BPB could have been great at least for me if I had not had so many bogies in it. 8 birdies but had 5 bogies. 

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 10:59 PM

Ah, that's tough. I've had a few rounds similar to this and boy is it frustrating! Good story tiffer =)

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 11:11 PM

I feel for ya bro, a great round. Yes the meter can be an infuriating ex wife sometimes. It always seems to happen at the worst possible moments. Now when I have a very important shot to make..i take a couple of practice swings  just to help any stumble that might come along

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 7:02 AM

That sucks Tiffer, I feel for you.  As danohi said, let the meter run through a couple of times.  I had that happen to me on Kiawah recently, -12 going to 16th, stumbled on the approach, and then on 17, what should have been at least a 59, became many strokes higher.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 8:02 AM

Thanks for the kind words and moral support guys. It wasn't all bad in the end as I won the ready go tournament, I'd rather have had the 58/59 though.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 9:18 AM

Hang in there tiffer.  At least be assured we all get the same experience, had three today alone.  Grin and bear it and keep having fun.

RSS