Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting: Getting the Right Line

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 7 2010 8:57 AM (2 replies)
  • okiegolfer
    19 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 9:21 AM

I'm a relatvely new Master player and still working at my game.  As for putting, I've gotten the distance down pretty well.  What I still haggle with is getting the right line.  I've tried moving the direction point and "dinging" all my putts.  I've tried not moving the direction point and playing off the ding.  And I've tried a combination of both.  I know it's probably a matter of personal choice, but what works for you?  I'm not asking for any secret formula, just a point in the right direction.  Thanks!

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 10:12 AM

There is no secret formula, your best bet is to start remembering greens and aim for spots on your approach to give you the straightest putt possible, i.e. kiawah #7 (par 5), just right and long of hole will give you almost straight putt, almost uphill.

Remember uphill putts dont seem to break as much.  And use the reverse view to see a much better detailing of the break close to the hole.  I personally putt 99% of my putts in reverse view for that reason, and you seem to get a straighter view of the putt as well.  Give your putts enough juice to get there and 12inches (at least) past the hole to at least give it a chance of reaching the hole, and of course for any putt that breaks, there is no 1 line, or 1 speed, there are many lines associated with many speeds.

Just try to remember how certain putts look, and for anything that breaks, you are not picturing it going in the front of the hole, butfrom the side of the hole.  And just as important, improve your approach shots, good shot 12ft from hole, great shot inside 6ft, thats a much easier putt.  Even the greats dont go lights out from 15plus ft, most of them dont see many putts outside 15ft for much of the round.

• okiegolfer
    19 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2010 8:57 AM

Thanks.  I think you're most right on about the need to improve approach shots and getting closer to the hole.  I haven't spent much time on the COTT games, where we get that specific kind of practice.  I guess like any game, we have good putting days and not so good.  But being closer to the hole in the first place does make a lot of difference.  Thanks, again, for your suggestions.

RSS