Help › Forums

Re: TM Master Wedges

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:00 AM (3 replies)
  • cyl6
    347 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:29 AM

2 points/questions:

1) Does anyone else notice the difference in spin between the TM Satin Master Wedges and the TM Satin Pro Wedges? I realize they are technically "rated" identically, but in performance, I find that the Master wedges put considerably more "bite"/spin on the ball than the pro wedges do. I've played a lot of rounds, but not as many as the top players, so I'm curious as to what other think about this.  Which leads me to my second point:

2) Anyone have an idea if WGT will create additional TM Master Wedges? I love my 60 degree (that goes 90 yards), but right now I use the pro wedges to fill in gaps below that. If there was a Master 64 degree, I"m guessing that would fill the gap where I currently use a Pro 60.

Thanks, and gl out there everyone!

Clarence

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:41 AM

cyl6:
    1) Does anyone else notice the difference in spin between the TM Satin Master Wedges and the TM Satin Pro Wedges?

There isn't any difference. The ball makes a difference and the loft of the wedges makes a difference. Shorter wedges are going to have a steeper trajectory and won't spin back like the longer wedges. Pay attention to the actual degree of loft when you're using them and note how much one spins more than the other. I've used TM wedges exclusively since I started and while they're 1/2 dot less than accurate vs the Pings the spin gain and forgiveness is an acceptable trade off. JMO

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:49 AM

Thanks Jim - my primary observation is between the Pro 60 and the Master 60 - both wedges are rated exactly the same.  One goes 90 (Master), the other 77 (Pro). They have the exact same loft. Given the exact same circumstances, i.e., a full shot, same ball, full backspin, same wind - the Master wedge spins back, it seems to me, at least twice as much, if not more, than the pro wedge, despite the identical loft.

I am thinking about your theory that the longer distance means more spin; but I would think simply having more loft = more spin. For example, the TM 64 degree Pro wedge spins back (it seems to me) a lot more than the 60, that makes intuitive sense to me. In sum, this is how my wedges work to me:

1) Master 60 (90 yards) - most bs of any wedge

2) Pro 60 (77 yards) - not much bs

3) Pro 64 (50) - somewhere in between, but a lot more spin than the pro 60.

Maybe I'm just confusing it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:00 AM

No, you have it, cyl. The way the 90 yd wedge spins is what got my attention initially and that's when I went investigating. It makes sense too because for a club to have a longer rating it would have to have a slightly different trajectory, enough so that those 2 60 wedges react a bit differently.

The landing slope makes a huge difference too. I have a replay on my profile of a 77 yard wedge spinning back into the cup but it landed on a slight upslope so I think the spin was enhanced. The 90 with full backspin will always stop dead or reverse. In fact, at SA #2 if you hit to about 95-96 yards in the fairway and hit that 90 wedge full you can trickle down to the hole quite effectively. Topspin will roll it just past the hole for an uphill birdie attempt. Backspin will stick it on the side of that slope (not the place to be!)

RSS