Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PLAYING OUT OF A BUNKER

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:52 AM (7 replies)
  • Fespi
    2 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 3:14 PM
    I enjoy the game but I always make a mess of playing out of Bunkers. I am in a bunker - ball lie is 25-30 distance to hole is 119 yards. Default iron is 8 Full which would make the ball go 125. How do i play the shot please ?
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 4:23 PM

Fespi:
    I enjoy the game but I always make a mess of playing out of Bunkers. I am in a bunker - ball lie is 25-30 distance to hole is 119 yards. Default iron is 8 Full which would make the ball go 125. How do i play the shot please ?

It all depends. If it is hard sand, level green, slight tail wind, then I would hit the full 8 Iron with backspin at about 98% power.

If hitting to an elevated green, into the wind, from soft or deep sand, then I would go down 1 club and take some backspin off the ball.

The real problem is that without actually seeing the hole, lie and other data on my screen, then I can only guess what to do.

This is like calling the doctor and asking him to diagnose over the phone. 

I will suggest you play practice rounds, but from pro tees in moderate winds on fast greens and deliberately hit into bunkers or rough and try some shots.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 2:28 AM

That info is spot on

Both bunker and sand shots can vary so much depending on lie and conditions, also what you are shooting at, that telling you what to do is virtually impossible

I am talking as a new member here so I am also very much finding my way

When I have a longer sand or bunker shot I try and take everything into account and choose the right club and power for it to arrive on target.  I always use backspin which may or may not help, IMO it does.  Sometimes all this works, sometimes it don't.  Bit like real life really

On short shots within reach of my 64 wedge that is what I will always use.  Even on shots of 10 yards, as I am confident with that club and confidence is 75% or more of the shot

The last bit of advice is the best.  Practice.  This is really a game of feel and as most people here will tell you, probably the closest thing on the computer to golf IRL and IRL you would practice, hit a few before going out.  

Do it here and enjoy yourself doing it.  Regarding clubs I waited until I got to pro before upgrading, some wait all the way till master but getting through the pro rank would be very difficult with the starter clubs

Hope the answers here help you.  They are a helpful bunch here.  Just get out there and enjoy yourself

Mick

• Fespi
    2 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 1:59 AM
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Kosei82
    144 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:19 AM

Hey fespi...what i would do to get a "feel" of bunkers and distances...hit a practice round and try each course...find the bunkers around green and fairways b/c some are very common to land in with a mis hit ...hit into them on purpose and find what club/spin works best..b/c around the green its not just about the distance u are to the pin..but the slope of green/amount of roll ur goin to have..but spend some time in a practice round and find a lot of bunkers..best of luck

• CDPlaya
    1 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:32 PM

this bunker is crap, I hit the suggested 8 iron full force and the ball goes 10 yards???? BS

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:11 AM

CDPlaya:

this bunker is crap, I hit the suggested 8 iron full force and the ball goes 10 yards???? BS

Which bunker? Your post is totally meaningless.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:52 AM

CDPlaya:

Pay attention to the walls of whatever bunker you're in and then think of the trajectory of the club you're trying to use-it has to clear the wall. Kiawah has a few of these like the one in the landing area at the 4th hole. Get in that bunker and you'll lose balls trying to get out unless you take a lofted club and lay up.

RSS